7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 7:41 AM by faustinc

FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure

faustinc

Title

FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure

I want to set a text field "read  only" without security setting, so I tried a scrip trigger, which contains only one step (Revert Record/Request[No dialog]), and set it active on object modified (as the pic below). Happily found that it was successful. (Since the scroll bar is only active after field entry)

However, there is still one problem. I store this database on PC, and use FM Go to log-in via internet. Whenever I want to read and scroll on iPad, the keypad jump up is so annoying. Is there any way I can solve this problem? Thanks for help!

1.png

• 1. Re: FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure
          philmodjunk

In FM GO, I use a popover with an oversize text field set to No browse mode access. You don't scroll the field, you scroll the popover in FM go by using your finger to drag the contents of the popover up.

• 2. Re: FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure
            faustinc

Thanks for advice! That's a way of thinking...However, although it solves the problem on iPad, on the other hand, it turns out that I cannot scroll on PC...if I use the same layout to demo on PC and iPad...I'm wondering if there is another way of thinking, or it is a limitation for FM13 now~

Thanks for your help !

• 3. Re: FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure
              philmodjunk

One frequently cannot use the same layout with iOS devices and computers. The differences in screen size, plus the need to make use of device orientation changes in order to make use of that limited space frequently require such a design decision. It's possible to set up scripts that detect the type of device that has opened the file and automatically select the appropriate layouts for that device.

• 4. Re: FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure
                faustinc

I know, so I put a lot of emphasis on how to make it look nice on both iPad and PC...haha...iPad and PC can automatically adjust the page to fit the screen, when I view it on iPad, it doesn't look to small, and when I view it on PC, it doesn't look too big, and no worry about the orientation...now the design already satisfied me...However~ it looks like I still have to setup seperate layouts for iPad and PC due to this limitation....>_<...haiz....

• 5. Re: FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure
                  faustinc

Dear PhilModJunk , Oh it suddenly occurs to me that I can use "hide object when" function to solve the layout problem!
                  (Since I want to maintain scripts and layouts as few as possible, it is a very important function for me~)

However........(why there is always a however... >_<) I found the iPad scroll function on popover only works for portal row...it doesn't scroll in fields when I use iPad if the text field was set to No browse mode . (the same situation on PC)

• 6. Re: FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure
                    philmodjunk

It works for my on my iPhone. I use it in several different applications. The key is that the contents of the popover must be larger than the bounds of the popover. On my computer's much larger screen, I size the popover to be very large and set the field in the popover to fill the boundaries of the popover and to not be accessible in browse mode.

When I open the popover on the iOS device's smaller screen, I can use my finger to scroll the popover's contents to see what's inside. Since I typically only want to scroll in the vertical directly, I match the popover panel's width to the width of the field, but make the height much larger.

This has two draw backs to keep in mind:

The max size you set when creating the popover in FileMaker Pro is your "upper limit" in how much text can be seen in the popover on the iOS device and there is no simple way to determine what text will fit inside those limites short of trial and error.

If you set up a popover to be 7" and only need 2" to display text on a particular record, you get 5" of blank space in the popover if you swipe with your finger to scroll the contents.

If you download the Known Bugs List database and open the popover found on the Main iPhone II layout while in FileMaker Pro, you can examine how I designed such a popover. But keep in mind that this was designed for the smaller screen of an iPhone, not an iPad.

• 7. Re: FM13-Scroll for read only without security setting/ Keypad issure
                      faustinc

Thank you very much! This week I didn't have time to try much but these info are really helpful!!!