2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 8:56 AM by KristinThomson

FM13: protecting data through scripts or privileges to never allow PDF of "records being browsed"

KristinThomson

Title

FM13: protecting data through scripts or privileges to never allow PDF of "records being browsed"

We have a FMP 13 database with 7 users, all of whom are new to Filemaker. Most of the users create records, then save the record as a PDF and email that record's info to an outside client/vendor.

I am terrified that one of the users will inadvertently save a PDF that includes all the records being browsed, thus exposing sensitive company data to outside competitors.  I have set up all scripts to default to save a PDF as "current record", and have insisted that users check PDFs before attaching them to an email as part of their workflow, but it would just take one slipup to create a major mess.

I'm wondering if there's a way to use scripts or privileges to add an additional layer of protection to the existing database.

- Is there a way to NEVER allow "records being browsed" to be available to certain privilege sets? Can I grey out that option entirely using scripts or privileges?

- Is there a way to "lock down" content from 2013, so that those older records cannot even be saved as a PDF without crossing some sort of extra hurdle (or just have them be accessible by someone with admin level privileges)? It would be very rare for them to need to print anything out from prior years so it wouldn't be a burden on workflow; I'm just trying to think of ways to cordon off that data from inadvertent data exposure.

Thanks in advance

Kristin T