2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 8:29 AM by travbrack

FM9 External Authentication - OS X not working right

travbrack

Title

FM9 External Authentication - OS X not working right

Hello

So thanks to some helpful folks at FileMaker, I was able to get external authentication working with my new installation of FileMaker Server 9.0.3.325.  It works fine on my XP clients running 9.0 v3, no login required.

It's also working on my OS X clients running 9.0 v3 as well, however it's not true SSO (single sign on) because the user is required to enter their fully qualified (foobar\username) username and password in order to authenticate externally.

I'm running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard, and it's hooked up to my active directory server so that the user needs to login using an AD username at startup.  the user I'm logged in as is a member of the security group that setup in accounts and privlidges.

Summary: Using the same username on Windows works fine, but I need to put in my username and password on OS X. 

Is it possible to get this to work they way I want it to?

Thanks 

• 1. Re: FM9 External Authentication - OS X not working right
          Kundinger

Hi "",

YES!!!  You can get the same end result for your Mac users!!!

Understand that Apple implements a technology called "Keychain" which results in the same experience as Windows SSO.  Apple's Keychain offers more flexibility in managing ALL the user's passwords for most any type of system needing access.  The user simply needs to choose "Remember Password" to have them stored in their Keychain.

Here are two examples...

A.  FileMaker Login - 

B.  Website Login -

To understand the Keychain, take a look at a user's Keychain...

<<<  /local HD/Users/user name/Library/Keychains/login.keychain  >>>

UNDERSTAND...  I am NOT trying to incite a riot here!!!  I use & support, as well as design & manage both MacTel and WinTel personal computer networks and information systems!!!  My organization specializes in true cross-platform functionality...  we've done this for the last 11+ years and will continue as such.  Some things happen better on MacTel, and some things happen better on WinTel!  We don't care...  we simply make these systems work as close to the same so the "User Experience" is VERY similar!!!

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 2. Re: FM9 External Authentication - OS X not working right
            travbrack

Thanks for the response.  That helps a little bit, but it's not quite what I was looking for since we have about 15 or 20 databases the user might need to access.  I would really like it if I could pass the "logged in" credentials to FileMaker Pro, just like Windows does.

Anyone?