Sounds like you might be having the same problem I am. Are you on a Mac or PC? If Mac, try this: Quit FileMaker. Delete folder library/caches/com.apple.ats. Restart FileMaker. If PC, I don't know, but desperately need to find out.
You definitely need to identify the the OS of each machine--those that work and those that don't--it might give someone a clue.
Sorry. I forgot to mention it w as for Windows. I also figured out the issue. It appears FM uses Microsoft IE to render the database html. As I was looking through what was installed in the problem machine, I noticed an Internet Explorer patch was installed on the same day the problem was reported to me. I gave removing it a shot and bingo! Both problem machines were fixed. It's the IE patch KB972260. I guess I'll repatch when FM fixes it on their end.
Sorry for bringing this topic back alive, but there solution doesnt quite cover all angles...
I have experienced the same issues in Filemaker Pro 9 & 10 runtimes, however the KB972260 patch seems un-related
One Windows XP machine has this installed and works fine, yet the same file on another XP machine it doesnt, and i have removed the KB972260 patch
For anybody looking for another solution, if the above does not work try turning down the hardware accelleration (if your driver allows it)
My Symptoms / Findings :
1. Browse mode (maximised) no graphical elements are displayed and fields do not display text whilst typing, only when you leave the field
2. If you restore the window (minimise) the graphic elements all display correctly
3. If you enter preview mode, the graphics display correctly
4. If you turn down hardware accelleration the graphics display correctly from start up
5. Removing KB972260 and restarting had no effect whatsoever
The problem is, not every Graphics Card driver allows you to turn down hardware accelleration these days.. it also seems the KB patch may not be the true cause of this and something that filemaker need to address.