2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 4:44 PM by tobster

FM9 on Snow Leopard Server

tobster

Title

FM9 on Snow Leopard Server

I'm a newbie to this forum -- and aren't really an IT person, but unfortunately managing the office IT is part of my job. 

I'm trying to run FM9 Pro on a Mac Pro which has had Snow Leopard Server (10.6.2) installed on it.

We're a small office and this is the first time we've run an actual "server" -- other than just having a machine which hosted the FM9 databases.

I've created a general user profile (not an administrator) and have logged in to the server. FM9 installed OK and registered/obtained its certificate online OK.

When I open a shared FM database I get the message "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files on this computer" -- and I've read the discussion at http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&thread.id=25484

I've tried turning things off in the advanced privilege set.

When I log in as an administrator user and try to open Filemaker, I get the message that Filemaker hasn't been installed properly. It opens OK under the other user.

I can open the databases OK from another computer on the network (but obviously get the message that you are about to become the host, etc.)

We're trying to keep the majority of office files on the server.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? (although I'm starting to think probably not going to be recommended!) Would FM10 fix it? Do I need a server version? (We only have 7 staff, so don't run stuff that's too intensive).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks 

• 1. Re: FM9 on Snow Leopard Server
          shudder

Hi Tobster -- 

There are a few things here that bother me...

I'm trying to run FM9 Pro on a Mac Pro which has had Snow Leopard Server (10.6.2) installed on it.

FM9 installed OK and registered/obtained its certificate online OK. 

When I log in as an administrator user and try to open Filemaker, I get the message that Filemaker hasn't been installed properly. 

As a start, it's bad that the Admin account can't run FM9.  Did you install FM9 as the Admin?  In any case, if you are just using the client software this should work (your Server of course would be the host of the databases, so you won't get that "You are about to serve..." notification).

I can open the databases OK from another computer on the network (but obviously get the message that you are about to become the host, etc.)

I'm assuming you're just running an AFP or NFS connection to your server and double-clicking the files, right?  This message is then expected because the server is not in fact hosting them, it is serving them (there's a difference when we are talking FM stuff here). 

When I open a shared FM database I get the message "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files on this computer" -- and I've read the discussion at http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&thread.id=25484

No answers for you on this, but this info wedded with the above about FM9 not opening for the Admin account (!!!!) could be problematic.  In essence, you are using your SL server to serve client hosted databases, and that client is not the most recent (you'd need FM 10 for that!).  SL came out late last year, so it doesn't surprise me that it may have probs serving FM9 which predated it by a year and a half or so.

Really, the way to go is to run FM10 Server as an additional service on your SL server.  I know that will work for you, but it means spending more money (of course), and since there are just the seven of you, it may not be worth the investment (your choice).

Is what I'm trying to do possible?

Sure... as long as FM9 is installed properly (and assuming SL Server will actually behave nicely when running FM9 client, which it seems may be the issue).

(although I'm starting to think probably not going to be recommended!) Would FM10 fix it? Do I need a server version? (We only have 7 staff, so don't run stuff that's too intensive).

FM 10 server would be excellent, but again, costly to you.  You might want to start again and get FM9 running for all accounts without error before proceeding down the FMS path.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

hth

- Michael 

P.S.  I hadda answer this one!  My son's name is Toby... 

• 2. Re: FM9 on Snow Leopard Server
            tobster

Hi Michael

Thanks for the advice.

FM9 just doesn't seem to be happy with Snow Leopard Server 10.6.2.

I realised my FM9 installation was an upgrade version, so to be sure I logged in as admin, installed FM8, upgraded to FM9, deactivated the machine, reactivated the machine -- and I still get the "cannot share, already running" message.

I've downloaded an FM10 Pro trial and installed it on the server -- and that's running fine with the FM9 clients accessing it.

I thought about the Server version before I first posted -- but for what we use it for, it just doesn't seem to be worth the investment.

I think the cheapest solution is just to upgrade to FM10 Pro on the server -- until the next issue happens!

Thanks again

Toby