5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 1:23 PM by TSGal

FM9: Page numbers in reports are not correct

dbrown

Title

FM9: Page numbers in reports are not correct

I just did an upgrade from fm6 to fm9. Most of the resulting reports are fine. I normally have a page number in the footer. In (apparently) random cases, the page numbers in footers are strange.

In one report, for example, the pagination starts with P. 0. In another report, all pages are P. 1. In each case, I'm using the page number symbol '##'.

Does anybody have a clue about what might be causing this?

• 1. Re: FM9: Page numbers in reports are not correct
          TSGal

dbrown:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro 9, there is an option in the print dialog box to "Number pages from", and although the default is 1, this might be set to 0, especially if you are running a script that restores the print settings.

Go to one of the layouts that may be starting with page 0, go to print and see if the option for "Number pages from" is set to zero.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM9: Page numbers in reports are not correct
            dbrown

Thanks. I didn't know about the new "number pages from" option.

Quick followup question: We're running FMP Server 9 with a few (under 10) clients. Server on Mac, mostly Mac clients, with a few PCs now and then. Where should I look for new documentation of the page setup features? I have seen discussions about the fact that page setup changed bewteen 6 and 9. I'd like to script the logical combinations of {Portrait, Landscape} x {Current Record, Found Set} so that they work in both environments without users having to know the details.

• 3. Re: FM9: Page numbers in reports are not correct
              TSGal

dbrown:

I'm not having much luck finding any documentation about the differences between Page Setup in Version 6 and Version 9.  The only reference I see is in the Help for "Converting files from FileMaker Pro 6 and earlier".  The exact article is "Print Setup script stored setup options (Windows)".  In short, the Print Setup script step is not compatible with the format used in pre-7.0 versions, so they will need to be reset.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FM9: Page numbers in reports are not correct
                dbrown

Thanks again, TSGal. Now I know why I couldn't find doc on the Page Setup differences between 6 & 9. How about doc about the Page Setup features in 9, even if it doesn't refer  to prior versions? I found a short bit in the FMPro 9 User's Guide on pp 59-60, but it doesn't discuss scripting the results.

-Denny

• 5. Re: FM9: Page numbers in reports are not correct
                  TSGal

Denny:

Since Windows and Mac OS handle printing differently, you may want to look at the "Print Setup" script step, and use this in conjunction with the "Priint" script step.  This will work for both platforms.

Under Help, enter "print script".  This should get you started. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.