9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 8:18 AM by TSGal

FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight

gewonus

Title

FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight

Hello All.  I have FMP 10.0v3 and am using Mac 10.5.8  Spotlight does not seem to index FMP files - and I have yet to see any FMP files when I run a search in Spotlight?

Any help would be appreciated.

George

gewonus@ap.ca 

• 1. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
          RickWhitelaw
             I'm running FMPA 10 and 10.6.1 and Spotlight finds all FMP files. Perhaps check your Spotlight preferences to make certain the directory is defined as searchable.
          • 2. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
            gewonus
               Thank you Rick.  I did try searching "kind:filemaker" in spotlight and it did pull up all my FMP files - I do appreciate your help on that.  When I try to use spotlight to search for content within FMP files it won't do that.  I suppose that simply isn't available?
            • 3. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
              MartinBrändle

I assume that

1) there is no spotlight filter for the .fm7 file format

2) accessing and indexing content through a 3rd party software such as spotlight on open FM databases may interfere normal DB operation and eventually harm the database

• 4. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
                RickWhitelaw

"Thank you Rick.  I did try searching "kind:filemaker" in spotlight and it did pull up all my FMP files - I do appreciate your help on that.  When I try to use spotlight to search for content within FMP files it won't do that.  I suppose that simply isn't available?"

I just did a Spotlight search on a few field names I use in Filemaker files . . . pretty arcane names unlikely to exist anywhere else . . . and Spotlight found all relevant FMP files. However, when searching for content I know to exist in fields, Spotlight came up blank.

Mac Pro Quad Xeon OS X 10.6.1 

• 5. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
                  gewonus
                     Hello Rick.  Makes good sense.  I could certainly use spotlight to find fmp file names - but trying to find content within fmp (including field names) came up blank.  Martin is probably right - giving spotlight access to fmp files might cause some issues with the fmp db itself.
                  • 6. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
                    WombatWhiskers

I recently downloaded the FM10 trial specifically to verify that Spotlight finds Filemaker content now. It does not.

A workaround could be to generate Excel exports of all tables that you need to search. These can't practically be real-time current, but I suppose it is better than the dbms being a "black hole". 

• 7. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
                      JohnSindelar_1

Note that if you want something *link* spotlight searching of your database content, you can add this yourself using: http://www.fmsearchresults.com

Not free, but it's unlocked and shows you how to search any/all fields in any/all tables in your solution from a global search field.

Hope it helps,

John 

• 8. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
                        RickWhitelaw
                           I'm at a bit of a loss as to why anyone would search database content with Spotlight. I mean, one of the most useful and common tasks performed within a database is searching, no? Unless a person isn't certain in which solution to perform the search . . .  I could be missing something here.
                        • 9. Re: FMP 10 and Mac Spotlight
                          TSGal

All:

Thank you for your comments.

I would urge each of you to enter this product suggestion (using Spotlight to find data) into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Although I could copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

I have noticed that the people who read these suggestions tend to pay more attention to those requests that provide real life examples.  Therefore, when entering the suggestion, please don't say "Add this feature".  Instead, explain what you are trying to accomplish and how adding this feature would help you achieve greater success/efficiency/etc.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.