3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 9:20 AM by philmodjunk

FMP 10 Conversion Anomalies

JHHowland

Title

FMP 10 Conversion Anomalies

After conversion of my multi-file Filemaker Pro 5.5v3 Marina Management Solution using Filemaker Pro 10v3 Advanced I have found what appear to me to be several conversion anomalies.  For instance, the calculation operator for "Not Equal To" in FMP5 (< >) is changed to "≠" in FMP10.  However, after the conversion to FP7 files, the "Not Equal To" calculation operator is still "< >" in the converted files.  This happenstance is true for the calculation operators "Greater Than or Equal To" (>=) to "≥", and "Less Than or Equal To" (<=) to "≤".  All these operators are left in the previous FMP5 format.

Does anyone know if this will result in potential calculation errors?

Also, I have found field and script calculations that have calculations with the added item of "GetAsNumber".

For example: GetAsNumber(Global Number Field) or GetAsNumber(Date Field).  This anomaly is troublesome to me.  For example, I have found that an expression like: "If(GetAsNumber(Date Field 1) = Date Field 2)" will not work since the original statement was "If(Date Field 1 = Date Field 2)".  The addition of "GetAsNumber" to a number or Global Number field doesn't seem to have any effect since the fields are already number fields.

It looks like I may need to review all my fields and scripts within my multi-field solution.

Anyone else run into this situation?

• 1. Re: FMP 10 Conversion Anomalies
          philmodjunk

Yep. I don't think you have to worry about the different inequality operators. Both versions are interchangeable.

I've been greatly irritated by the "Get As Number" function insertions that popped up in calculations everywhere. I only found one or two calculations that failed to evaluate correctly until I removed the GetAsNumber function, but it really clutters up the expressions to no good purpose as fars as I've been able to determine. (I asked a very similar question back when I first joined the Forum, but FileMaker Inc. never came up with an explanation for why GetAsNumber was being inserted everywhere.

Note that dates really are number fields with special formatting. Thus, If(GetAsNumber(Date Field 1) = Date Field 2; ... ) should evaluate the same as If ( Date Field 1 = Date Field 2 ; ... ).

• 2. Re: FMP 10 Conversion Anomalies
            JHHowland

Thanks for your input Phil.  I have now found one incident where the "GetAsNumber" function did not evaluate properly.  It was in a calculation set to evaluate as "Date" and "GetAsNumber(Date Field 1) = Date Field 2" failed.  When used in calculations set to evaluate as "Number" or "Text" it has not been a problem.

I am using "Database Design Report" to find "GetAsNumber" occurances and evaluate whether to remove or leave them.

I have found Filemaker Inc. less than helpful over the years and now depend on Forum responce from folks like you when I run into a problem.  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: FMP 10 Conversion Anomalies
              philmodjunk

I have now found one incident where the "GetAsNumber" function did not evaluate properly.  It was in a calculation set to evaluate as "Date" and "GetAsNumber(Date Field 1) = Date Field 2"

I'd take a closer look at Date Field 1 and Date Field 2 and make sure both are actually of type date and contain valid data. Before responding, I created a test file with this expression:

GetasNumber ( DateField ) = DateField

Entered a date in DateField and the calculation evaluated correctly as 1.