10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 8:16 AM by TSGal

FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7

fjordseeker

Title

FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7

hi i am unable to start IWP. i get the message that FMP is unable to share over the web because IWP could not be started. i've read the other posts on FMP 9 on the subject and even downloaded the IWP extension and replaced the original one but am unable to get it going.

please help. thx

fj 

• 1. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
          TSGal

fjordseeker:

Thank you for your post.

I am running 10.0v1 on an iMac with OS X 10.5.7.  I launch FileMaker Pro 10, create a new database file (Test.fp7) with one field (Name) and one record (TSGal).  I then pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing...".  After turning on Instant Web Publishing, I select "Test" under "Currently open files" and then set the access to "All users".

From your description, it appears you are getting an error message when you try to turn on Instant Web Publishing.  What is the error message, as this is important in determining the possible reasons for Instant Web Publishing not starting.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
            fjordseeker
               hi TSgal, it doesn't matter if i am using a DB i have or a new one or none. with the sharing window > IWP when i try and click the toggle on button i get a beachball for about 1 minute or two then the message but no error code. i have a macBookPro late 2007 model. i checked to make sure that u have filemaker network on and i do see a TCP/IP assigned. what could it be?
            • 3. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
              fjordseeker

does nobody else with FMPro 10.0v1 have this issue? i convinced a client to purchase FMP for a not exactly low cost so that 3 workers could browse the DB via their browsers and now i cannot even get it working... 

the updated IWP extension for FMP 9 does NOT work.  

• 4. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
                TSGal

fjordseeker:

Network Sharing is not required to run Instant Web Publishing, but it does help to know that the network is working.

The default port for Instant Web Publishing is port 80, and a number of other web activities also use this port, so you may be running into a port conflict.

When you get the error message, you should be notified to change the port.  Try changing the port to 591, as this is registered for FileMaker activity only.  Once set, you should be able to use Instant Web Publishing.

Please keep me updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
                  fjordseeker

do i need to have anyting else in my network settings besides to have web sharing and file sharing checked? 

after being prompted to change the port i entered 591 but again the spinning beachball for a minute or two...

same message then about not being able to start IWP 

thx

• 6. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
                    TSGal

fjordseeker:

Thanks for the additional information.

You do not need anything else in your network settings.  There is obviously something on your computer that is stopping you from turning on Instant Web Publishing.

First, I would quit FileMaker and reboot your computer.  This clears out any type of memory problems and refreshes the system.  Next, launch FileMaker Pro.  Create a new file (in case the other file is corrupt) with one field and one record.  Pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing...".  See if you can now turn on Instant Web Publishing.  If this works, then open the file you are trying to publish.  If this doesn't work, then I would try installing FileMaker Pro 10 on a second machine (if you have access) and see if it works there.

I'm trying to isolate the system from the database file from FileMaker Pro 10 application so I can narrow the possible reasons Instant Web Publishing isn't starting.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
                      fjordseeker

i restarted set up a new DB with one entry and one field and this time got as far as IWP starting and assigning an IP address. but then when i clicked "ok" in the IWP window FMP crashes. tried it under a different use account and same thing. i deleted the installer so can't install to test another computer. 

i have a crash report. 

• 8. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
                        TSGal

fjordseeker:

We're getting closer to the cause.  Since this doesn't work for any database file, it is either a damaged FileMaker Pro or damaged OS.  To check FileMaker Pro, you will need to uninstall and reinstall, but since you deleted the installer, download another installer.  However, before uninstalling, it may be easier to install on another computer first.  If this works, then you can uninstall and reinstall on your original computer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
                          fjordseeker

i'm back after having retrieved the installer file from my other office. i reinstalled the app and i still have the same problem. i did note that IWP on the iMac i have it installed on in the other office works. i rechecked my setings here and checked to make sure this port 591 is also open on the router. still no luck on this machine... :( 

since all other apps on my MBP work fine i can't imagine it's a damaged OS. any other ideas?

thx 

• 10. Re: FMP 10.0v1 IWP "could not be started" on Mac running OS 10.5.7
                            TSGal

fjordseeker:

I've gone about as far as I can with FileMaker.  It works on one machine but not another.  You will need to do some more sleuthing on the OS to determine the differences.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.