3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 11:57 AM by mrvodka

FMP 10v3 improved recovering cured my file, but what to do next ?

Vincent_L

Title

FMP 10v3 improved recovering cured my file, but what to do next ?

My main file has a strange corruption, the script menu doesn't display script's that are under a particular one. DDR export fails due to that, and I can get DDR export to workd by moving the script that are under this one up.

Checking consistency says the file is ok.

Before 10v3 recovering didn't do anything to improve the situation, 10v3 curred it !

BUT in the log there's the following statements

WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file. 

So what do I do next ??

My files contains 10 tables, more than a thousand fields, countless relationships, hundreds of scripts.

It's impossible for me to recreate the solution. 

and of course as the corruption went silenty, so I've no unaffected backups

So what should I do next ? Use the fixed version ? 

• 1. Re: FMP 10v3 improved recovering cured my file, but what to do next ?
          mrvodka
             When was your last good back up? I would check your archives and then take a copy and see if you get teh same thing in the newly patched up version. If you dont, highly suggest that you use a clone of that good copy and just move the data.
          • 2. Re: FMP 10v3 improved recovering cured my file, but what to do next ?
            Vincent_L

Thanks Mr_Vodka,

I rerun the recovery on the recovered version and it reports there's no problems anymore.

To me that means fixing was good, because my prior test before v3 kept reporting problems even on the so called recovered one (aht wasn't really)

Anyway, FMP stils says : 

Recover built a new database without detecting any problems.  It would be safest to copy only the most recent work from the recovered file into a backup copy of the original file, instead of using the recovered file going forward. 

So I think I'll foloww your advise. But that will be cumbersome. But I'm happy, thanks for the recovering improvment FM Inc, and I suggest everyone who had problems before to give v3 a try.

• 3. Re: FMP 10v3 improved recovering cured my file, but what to do next ?
              mrvodka
                 Yes I wouldnt trust a recovered file. I dont know which option you used with FM10, but prior to 10, a recovery would drop invalid data blocks and just "fill them in" per se so that the file could be opened. I know it can be a PIA, but hey its safer to do it now rather than suffer for it later by taking a chance.