4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 10:56 AM by FentonJones

FMP 11.   Exporting records separated by a Carriage return rather than a line feed.

ijontichy

Title

FMP 11.   Exporting records separated by a Carriage return rather than a line feed.

This would be nice--wondering if there's a way.

Currently, when I export a series of records (I use filemaker pro to generate edit decision lists that allow machines to digitize specific sections of video off of tape or from fiels), the records all come separated by a line feed, which cannot be read by the machines that need to read them.

It's a fairly simple affair to open in Word and replace all linefeeds with carriage returns and I've got a small applet that does it...

...but could it come out of filemaker in this format already?

Not a coder, though I script.   Do not know XML.

Thanks in advance.   Have received much help here already (special thumbs up to you, PhilModJunk!)

Cheers,

e

• 1. Re: FMP 11.   Exporting records separated by a Carriage return rather than a line feed.
          Rajkumar

there's a function named "substitute()" in filemaker, u can make use of this to replace all existing linefeeds with carriage returns.

• 2. Re: FMP 11.   Exporting records separated by a Carriage return rather than a line feed.
            FentonJones

Which platform, Mac or Windows? From what I can see, FileMaker Mac exports use the carriage return, not linefeed. If Windows it would use both at once. If you're on Windows and need a single carriage return, you might have to use XML/XSL. I don't really know (and am too lazy to start Windows to see). 

The XML/XSL is fairly simple and generic; I already have it. But it is awkward to post, as the forum software messes with the returns (changes them to spaces I think); which is exactly what we want to see. So let us know if you need it, and I'll upload somehow.

I'd need to know what you need as a field separator, tab? quotes (csv)? pipe? Also whether you need a header line. If so, can it be just the field names (as is)? Or do you want to just type them into the XSL (not hard to do). Also, nit-picking, do you care if there's a blank line at the end (it is possible to suppress it, otherwise it's there)?

Also, acceptable encoding. UTF-8, UTF-16, ascii, iso-8859-1, windows-1252 (and more obscure ones). UTF-8 is the most usual.

• 3. Re: FMP 11.   Exporting records separated by a Carriage return rather than a line feed.
              ijontichy

Raj,

Thanks for the reply.   The problem is not in the records, it's in the separation of the records so the substitute command will not work.

Fenton,

I'm on mac.   And the separator for each record shows up as a line feed as opposed to a carriage return.    There are no field seperators as it's concatenated on export as a single field.   No header info.

I will try UTF-8 and see how that looks.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: FMP 11.   Exporting records separated by a Carriage return rather than a line feed.
                FentonJones

I get only carriage returns when I Export, when I use the default "Macintosh" encoding (or either UTF). I am viewing these text files in BBEdit, with [ ] Translate line breaks unchecked (default is checked, so you can open either old-style or new linefeed files and see them as lines). Are you viewing these in a real text editor, such as TextWrangler (free), with the Translate line breaks off? 

As I often say when working with text files and encoding, what you can't see can hurt you.