10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 2:10 PM by GFS

fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed

jrevah

Title

fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed

I recently converted my company's filemaker database to version 12, and we have these print layouts for invoices that aren't displaying the way they used to. I'm currently trying to fix these, but after a while of messing around with the layout, searching the forums and poring over the version changes I can't come up with anything.

So the issue is, we have these graphic objects, lines that run down the layout through all parts of the print form. These plain black solid lines show up in browse & layout mode, but not in the print preview. There are 8 parts to this layout, and in filemaker 11, those lines run down all the way, but alas now they do not.

Things I've tried include:

-creating new lines completely

-making sure the "hide when printing" box is unchecked

-bring the lines to front, in case some invisible object was blocking them

If anyone else has run into this problem, and knows how to remedy it, I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
          GFS

Wow!

I came in here to post a question, but never expected there to be a question about the exact same issue I'm having, right at the top of the list! :)

I also have a layout that prints with vertical graphic lines running from top to bottom, at the edges of the page.  The reason for this is that when sending a PDF via email, areas that are just white, float in limbo (visually) unless they have some sort of surround / frame to make them look a part of the document. IOW, it looks like there are 2 separate blocks of text/layout in the email, instead of a single A4 page.

I've tried everything too and found that you can add borders to Parts.  This is very good ... BUT ... I have a Trailing Grand Summary at the bottom of my layout, which slides up when the Body shrinks.  The result is that the area beneath the Grand Summary is left white but none of the Part borders are used here.  There is also ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of getting any kind of graphic element to show up in this area during printing.  It is just a blank area.

I'd love to know how to fix this.

• 2. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
            philmodjunk

It's going to be a real pain for you, but I think you can get what you want by breaking up your lines into segments that are the same size as your layout parts and aligning them to look like continuous lines. Be careful, even one pixel too high or too low could be a problem for you.

There is also ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of getting any kind of graphic element to show up in this area during printing.

There never has been to the best of my knowledge. You can make the trailing grand summary larger and put the graphic there--but this then requires that the same space be used for this graphic on every report--regardless of how high or low your trailing grand summary is positioned on the last page...

• 3. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
              GFS

Hi PhilModJunk,

I've been using this layout for years.  Since at least 9 Advanced.  I've just checked it in 11 Advanced, to make sure I'm not dreaming.  I have 2 vertical graphic lines which run through Header, Leading Grand Summary, Body, Trailing Grand Summary, Title Footer.  They both show up fine in PDF and print.  I don't have to break them into smaller lines to make it work.  They work perfectly.

In Advanced 12, these lines do some weird things.  If one crosses all parts, in Preview Mode it only shows up in Header.  If it crosses all except Header, it only shows up in Leading Grand Summary.

So this is clearly a bug in 12.

My feeling is that previous versions of FM had the correct behaviour and 12 should be fixed to match.  A graphic should show up no matter where the user decides to place it.

• 4. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
                philmodjunk

At the very least, it's a behavior change in 12 and not one that I welcome. Report an Issue (see tab at top of this screen) is the location in this forum for reporting bugs with the program. (to save typing you can paste a link to this thread into any post you make there...)

• 5. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
                  GFS

Thanks Phil.  I hadn't realised that there was a way of reporting bugs right here in the forum.  To be fair, FM is pretty well written software and really has had relatively small number of bugs over the years.  Almost all of those (that I've seen) have been graphics issues ... which is something of an irony for an Apple owned company. :)  Happy to see FM making efforts in this regard in 12.

• 6. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
                    jrevah

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having this issue. Making smaller lines however does not fix it, when they reach a certain part, I cannot see them in the print preview, but they show up in browse/fm preview.

• 7. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
                      philmodjunk

Would that "certain part" be a trailing grand summary?

This should work for header, body, footer, leading grand summary, but won't span the unused space on the page between a trailing grand summary part and the footer.

• 8. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
                        jrevah

It's a trailing sub-summary. Are you saying that making lines in the trailing portions won't show up?

• 9. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
                          philmodjunk

I mean that I tested and found that this is the case for a Trailing Grand Summary. I did not try this with a sub summary part, but I would assume that if there is space between the bottom of the last trailing sub summary part and the footer, the line or other graphic object willl fail to span that unused space just like I saw with a trailing grand summary.

• 10. Re: fmp 12 - discrepency in how objects are displayed
                            GFS

Phil,

one aspect of this, that you haven't picked up on, but I think is probably significant in the bug report (and I didn't emphasise it either) is that using the Part 'Appearance' tools to give all parts a border, fails to give the entire page a border in Preview/Print/PDF.  This is clearly a bug and probably the same one.