8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 10:44 AM by ChrisHolland

fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print

ChrisHolland

Title

fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print

FMP 12 crashes while trying to print a database on a FMPS 12. Both systems are running 10.6 with the latest updates. It doesn't matter what printer used, fmp crashes on the client machine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print
          philmodjunk

It doesn't matter what printer used,

What printers have you tried?

• 2. Re: fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print
            ChrisHolland

Konica/Minolta bizhub C220

Kyocera FS-C5300DN

• 3. Re: fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print
              philmodjunk

Don't know about the Kyocera, but bizhubs do not have a good track record for compatibility with FileMaker (or is it that FileMaker doesn't have a good record for compatibility with bizhub machines?)

For More Information see:     Printing from FM 11 or 11 Advance to Konica Minolta C550 crashes Filemaker

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 4. Re: fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print
                ChrisHolland

In the past with Minolta printers we used to see issues on occasion. Now with this machine we have had zero issues with printing from any application e.g. graphic software, office, web browsers, CAD, etc.

With the Kyocera we have had zero issues with any program.

Both printers are also used from Windows machines from XP to 7 (including 64 bit versions). Zero issues.

For our size organization we just spent big dollars on buying licenses all around for developing critical databases relating to several different areas. Probably more in the near future.

We have used FM for a very long time for small things (decades? how long has it been around?). We have grown in size and have a lot heavier needs now and in the future. Its compatibility with the OS has always been good in our experience. I'd like to stick with it.

Whats the path to look for resolution of this problem?

• 5. Re: fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print
                  philmodjunk

Both printers are also used from Windows machines from XP to 7 (including 64 bit versions). Zero issues

Yep, each platform uses different printer drivers and if you check the bug thread, the original problem--which may not be what you are dealing with here--only occurred on mac systems.

That original problem was resolved for most models by getting an updated printer driver. It never hurts to check and see if an updated driver is available.

But we really haven't ruled out other options.

Please try this simple test if you have not already done so.

Create a simple, brand new file from scratch. Try printing from it on both computers and see what happens. If a new file doesn't cause this problem, we need to take a closer look at your files.

Also, if these are networked computers, try printing to a printer directly connected to the client machine and see if that makes any difference here.

• 6. Re: fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print
                    ChrisHolland

I should fill in some more details. All users are network users hosted on the server running the FMPS (It will eventuall get its own server). All printing is done through the print ques on the server.

Here's what I did and it worked. First, I upgraded to the latest printer driver for the bizhubC220 on the server (I'm not sure this was required). Next, install the updated drivers on the local machine as the local admin. Then create a local que with the new print driver. Logout. Login as a network user. Open FMP and select a database. Print a record using the local que. Whoa! It worked! Now delete the local que and print using the print que on the server. It works! Reboot the machine and login as a network user to verify it still works. This has now worked on two machines. I assume it will work on the rest.

Originally, one machine always worked, but it had FMPA. But, at one time it had a local print que.

To optimize your chances of this working, I suggest you have the following conditions as I did:

Humidity: 59 %
                    Wind Speed: NW 13 G 17 MPH
                    Barometer: 29.97"
                    Dewpoint: 46 °F (8 °C)
                    Visibility:

10.00 mi.

Temp 61 °F (16 °C)

I always keep a couple of chickens around just in case. It never hurts to know where theres a goat in case you need a little stronger magic...

• 7. Re: fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print
                      philmodjunk

I always keep a couple of chickens around just in case. It never hurts to know where theres a goat in case you need a little stronger magic...

The 'ole propititate the demon murphy solution eh?Wink

Best guess, and it's only a guess, is that the updated printer driver is what did the trick for you. Each client uses its own copy of this driver so make sure each client machine is updated in identical fashion.

• 8. Re: fmp 12 connect to fmps 12 crashes while trying to print
                        ChrisHolland

I really don't know why. Just updating the drivers didn't seem to work. My machine has old drivers and FMPA works without going through the above steps. If I had the extra time I would research and find out just to know.

Thanks for the input. I needed some ideas to get the ball rolling.

I'm thinking about chicken for dinner...