9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 12:04 PM by fred@kca-inc.com

FMP 13 Portal Scroll

fred@kca-inc.com

Title

FMP 13 Portal Scroll

Converting an FMP 11 app to FMP 13.  Trying to keep the active portal row on the screen.

-Go to Portal Row (Last)

-Loop

--Exit Loop when record is found

--Go to previous portal row - Exit on last/top

-End Loop

This script works great in the script debugger but not in normal use.  Is there some "switch" that is disabled in the script debugger that may cause this issue?

• 1. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
          philmodjunk

The main difference you get between when using the debugger is that the screen automatically refreshes between each step.

I suggest posting the exact script rather than Psuedocode so that others can better understand the details.

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.
          • 2. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
            fred@kca-inc.com

Thanks.  Here is the screen shot of the script for the portal row scrolling.

• 3. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
              fred@kca-inc.com

When this script executes in real-time, the proper portal row is still in focus, but the portal scrolls to the top.

• 4. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
                philmodjunk

Remove the commet Records  and Go to Object steps and see what happens. (in what object are you putting the focus here?)

Also, did you perhaps select the "reset scroll bar when exiting record" option in Portal setup for this portal?

• 5. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
                  fred@kca-inc.com

I tried to remove the Go to Object steps and comments.  Doesn't seem to make a difference.

The last Go To Object takes the user to an edit box for the first field for record editing.

Any other ideas?

• 6. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
                    philmodjunk

Sorry for the typo. I suspect that the Commit Records step--not the comments is changing the focus on you and this is causing the script to lose focus on the portal row.

To repeat:

did you perhaps select the "reset scroll bar when exiting record" option in Portal setup for this portal?

• 7. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
                      fred@kca-inc.com

When I disable the Commit Records line AND the Go to Object, the portal doesn't reset the vertical scroll.  If either step is enabled, the portal resets. Would you think this is a bug that should be reported?

This leaves me with another issue.  After this "save" script runs, the portal is not enabled for clicking until something else on the screen is clicked to commit the record so, basically, it takes 2 clicks to select the next record. Can you think of a way to eliminate the need for a double click?

• 8. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
                        philmodjunk

It sounds like your database is doing what you set it up to do and that this is not what you want it to do.

I can't suggest modifications to make as I do not have a sufficiently clear understanding of the design of your database tables, layout nor what exactly the user is doing that requires this script to be performed in the first place.

And this question remains unanswered by your responses:

did you perhaps select the "reset scroll bar when exiting record" option in Portal setup for this portal?

That might also be a factor here,, but since you have not answered the question, I can't tell.

• 9. Re: FMP 13 Portal Scroll
                          fred@kca-inc.com

Sorry.  I thought I answered that, but appears I didn't.  I check the portals and the "reset scroll bar..." is not enabled.

As I've been working on this, I discovered that the same issues don't seem to appear in WebDirect on Chrome.  I am able to eliminate that entire portion of the script which keeps the selected portal row on the screen.  WebDirect appears to take care of that on it's own.  Must be magic :)