3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2014 7:16 PM by philmodjunk

FMP 13 won't start after change of OSX User Accounts

eliotr

Title

FMP 13 won't start after change of OSX User Accounts

Because of an unrelated problem, Apple had me switch to a newly created (OS X) User Account.  The data was transferred, but not the Home Library.  FMP will no longer open.  

Error Message: "This app has been installed incorrectly or modified by another program.  Please run the Installer to get a fresh copy of the app after determining the cause."

I can try installing again, but I wonder if it's complaining about FMP being installed in 2 accounts ... and reinstalling won't help.

Perhaps irrelevant?:  When I tried to open FMP by double-clicking a DB, I get the message: 'The document "myfilename.fmp12" could not be opened.  FMP Advanced cannot open files in the "FileMaker Document" format.'

I'd really like to get my databases back!!  Any help most appreciated.  Thanks.  -  Eliot

(BTW: I'm reluctant to delete the OLD OS X User Account immeditately in case I discover that I need info from the Lib, eg, License files, fancy settings, whatever.  I could try UNinstalling and reinstalling FMP (from the new user), if that were the issue.)

(FM Pro Advanced 13.0.2 on Macbook Pro running OS 10.9.2)

• 1. Re: FMP 13 won't start after change of OSX User Accounts
          davidanders

Archive or zip the Library file of the old user - same effect as delete.

There is a FMP folder in   Library > Application Support > Filemaker > Filemaker Pro Advanced

Copy (not move) from old user Library to harddrive (so it can be accessed by new user) and move to NewUser Library.

Having a second account on Mac OSX (and WIN) is useful in troubleshooting and repair - I always create one.
          http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4053

A reinstall of FMP may likely be necessary.

• 2. Re: FMP 13 won't start after change of OSX User Accounts
            eliotr

Thanks, David.  I did transfer the FMP Advanced folder successfully I think.  No soap.  So I tried to reinstall.  I got the error message posted below.  I don't know if I needed to UNinstall first, or if I should have approached the reinstall differently, or it's something else, but it didn't work.  (My initial installation was an UPgrade from FMP 10 (regular) to FMP 13 Advanced) so that's what I tried to do again.  (FMP v 10 still seems to work.)  Unless you have other ideas, I imagine I'll be calling FM on Tues.  I appreciated the suggestions. -  Eliot

• 3. Re: FMP 13 won't start after change of OSX User Accounts
              philmodjunk

Ultimately, you may want to call FileMaker Tech Support as they can walk you through any steps needed to diagnose and fix the issue. They shouldn't charge for an Installation Issue.