2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 10:53 AM by fmchris

FMP 6, FMP 10, and TypeIt4Me

fmchris

Title

FMP 6, FMP 10, and TypeIt4Me

Hi

I managed to convert all my database solutions successfully from FMP6 to FMP10 on my G5 iMac. Most of the databases are not noticeably slower.

However I've a severe problem with my writing database. This contains a few fields within which I type away merrily, as if into a word processor. Plus I use the text expander TypeIt4Me. In FMP6 this is as quick as typing into TextEdit, but in FMP10 it is quite awful. The speed of typing, and of abbreviations expansion, is so slow that I find it unusable. For just this one database I have gone back to FMP6, keeping FMP10 for everything else.

Why should typing into a field (defined as a text field) be so much slower in FMP10? Is there something I should have done but haven't? Thanks for any help you can give.

Chris

• 1. Re: FMP 6, FMP 10, and TypeIt4Me
          philmodjunk

How many different FileMaker files do you have open (possibly hidden in the back ground) when you are doing this typing?

I've seen a few issues where having a number of different files open (all with their own window) made for painfully slow updates to typed in data--but this seemed to be due to having one or more windows open that had layout objects that needed to update regularly in response to other users making edits in those hosted databases, so this may not apply to your situation.

Did you look for any updates to "typeIt4Me" when you updated Filemaker? Perhaps there's an incompatibility between v10 and the version of typit4me that you are using.

• 2. Re: FMP 6, FMP 10, and TypeIt4Me
            fmchris

Thanks for reply Phil. 

This has always been a single file (table) with no dependancies : it is simply a word processing file with all records filed by type and ID number. There's very little to it apart from a couple of large text fields for typing in (several pages long).

As for TypeIt4Me, I now don't  think it's an issue as ALL typing (whether abbreviations or not) is slow into those fields. There is a noticeable delay before the words I've typed actually appear. In FM6 it's perefectly speedy.