4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 2:26 PM by bethh

FMP 9 Not enough room on the disk to complete this operation, make more room on the disk and try...

bethh

Title

FMP 9 Not enough room on the disk to complete this operation, make more room on the disk and try again

The customer has the database out on the novell servers. Periodically she get's the error message

"Not enough room on the disk to complete this operation, make more room on the disk and try again". This happens when she is adding a record. She says that she can't delete a record and sort of locks up. Sometimes a reboot helps, but I guess she had problems for a week before it started working again. She has the correct access to her 'h" drive and UAC is turned off since she has windows 7 and her account is part of the admin group of the pc. She has over 160 GB of free space on her HD and the db is only 10.5MB. Any ideas since she sort of wants a solution

• 1. Re: FMP 9 Not enough room on the disk to complete this operation, make more room on the disk and try...
          philmodjunk

How does she access this file that is on a novell server? If she is accessing a file in a shared directory by finding and opening the file, she risks damage to the file. A file located on a remote server should be hosted by Filemaker Pro or FileMaker Server on that machine, then the users should launch FileMaker on their machine and use Open Remote to access it.

I'd check the available space on the users C: drive (System partition) to see how much unused space exists on it. FileMaker creates a temp file that needs space inorder for the user to use the database file. I'd also check the server's hard drive for available space as well.

• 2. Re: FMP 9 Not enough room on the disk to complete this operation, make more room on the disk and try...
            bethh

She maybe accessing the file by double clicking it. Someone else made a shortcut for her probably to her DB. we have very few filemakerPro users as it's not really supported on campus and no server portion. She is the only one using the database. The amount she is allocated on Novell is 1 GB and has over 600 MB left. I thought that the tempfile was made on the C: drive and not the novell server. What's the formula, if there is one that dictactes the size of the temp file? Her C drive is't that full and it's not partioned except for the Dell diagnostics partition which is very small. The problem is intermittent. she states 3 times in 6 months.

• 3. Re: FMP 9 Not enough room on the disk to complete this operation, make more room on the disk and try...
              philmodjunk

The temp file is on the C:drive, but you still need room for the file to grow on the server's drive so you have to check capacity in both places.

Opening the file on a shared directory as the only user--while much safer than with multiple users--could still corrupt the file. Note also that any server back up software that regularly backs up this file may be creating corrupted backups if the file is open at the time the software backs it up.

Thus, just to be safe, you might want to run a recover on the file to see if any issues are reported. (And you may want to do a check disk on her computer to make sure that it's in good shape as well.)

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
              2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
              • 4. Re: FMP 9 Not enough room on the disk to complete this operation, make more room on the disk and try...
                bethh

I know what I am going to recommend to the customer. If there are further issues I will le tyou know.

Thanks!