6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 6:27 AM by TSGal

FMP Advanced 8v3 cannot send email via Powermail application - OSX

jr

Title

FMP Advanced 8v3 cannot send email via Powermail application - OSX

FMP will not send email from FMP when the default email application is Powermail. It works fine if the default is set to apple's Mail app but not Powermail. This happens when sending from the File->Send Mail menu. The result is no different from any options in the email dialog box (one email, multiple emails, etc.).

This is designed to work with the whatever email application you set to default. Looks like a bug.

• 1. Re: FMP Advanced 8v3 cannot send email via Powermail application - OSX
          Vaughan

"This is designed to work with the whatever email application you set to default. Looks like a bug."

Actually, FileMaker Pro only works with MAPI-compliant mail applications. Most are MAPI compliant, but some (like Lotus Notes) are not. I'd guess that Powermail isn't MAPI compliant either.

Not all is lost though: instead of using the Send Mail script step, use the Open URL step and specify "mailto:name@address.com".

This will coax even non-MAPI mail clients to create a new mail message. The mailto: protocol allows for subjects and body to be specified as well, but the mount of text it can handle is limited.

• 2. Re: FMP Advanced 8v3 cannot send email via Powermail application - OSX
            jr

Vaughn, Thank you for the very fast response. Unfortunately, the forum servers were down for about a day.

OK, the URL script command is a decent but not ideal work around. Thank you, it will do just fine. For future reference, it does incorporate all the Filemaker Pro fields well; I will see if it can also do attachments. the "url" looks like this:

"mailto:"  &  DBname::eMail Address & "?subject=Subject Message" & "&body=" & DBname::name & DBname::Personal eMail Message & DBname::globalvariable

BTW, you are right about the MAPI email client but this little detail was not mentioned in the FMP 8v3 instructions I saw.

• 3. Re: FMP Advanced 8v3 cannot send email via Powermail application - OSX
              wvms
                 I was about to post the same complaint regarding Thunderbird. May I take it that Thunderbird also is not MAP1 compatible?
              • 4. Re: FMP Advanced 8v3 cannot send email via Powermail application - OSX
                TSGal

bsteele:

Thank you for your post.

I have never used Thunderbird, but just doing a quick search in Google for:  Thunderbird MAPI

... shows several articles stating that Thunderbird is not MAPI compliant.

If you look under the FileMaker Pro 9 Help and "Send Mail script step", at the bottom, it states:

"To send mail, you must have an internet connection and the following configurations. 

Windows:

* A [Mail] section in the Win.ini file.

* Microsoft Exchange or another email application that is MAPI compliant installed and configured properly."

That's the only reference I can find, so I can understand why it isn't well known.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMP Advanced 8v3 cannot send email via Powermail application - OSX
                  wvms
                     So apparently either Filemaker or the OS (in my case, OS X) is smart enough to figure out that a URL beginning with "mailto:" shold be opened in a mail program and not in a browser. So why can't the Send mail command be that smart?
                  • 6. Re: FMP Advanced 8v3 cannot send email via Powermail application - OSX
                    TSGal

bsteele:

The Mail API (MAPI) allows access to every field (subject, body, to, cc, bcc) with the ability to pass parameters (fields) and attachments.  Not all of this is possible with the "mailto:" URL step.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.