10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2012 1:14 PM by JillX_1

FMP filter problem

JillX_1

Title

FMP filter problem

Hi,

I wonder if FMP's filter can function like a Excel filter?

For example, I have factory a, b and c. Under each factory, I have four models.

Factory   Model

a             a1

a             a2

a             a3

a             a4

b            ...

b

b

b

c

c

c

c

In a Excel filter, I can select any combination of factory a, b and c to see what models are associated.

I wonder if FMP is possible to apporach this function, and how to?

Here is a link to the excel file with factory filter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjgisnz9ftmm2vl/Book1.xlsx

Thank you !!!

• 1. Re: FMP filter problem
          philmodjunk

You can add a global field to the layout and give it a value list of your models. Selecting a value from this value list can then trip a script trigger that uses the value selected in the global field to perform a find for all records with that model.

• 2. Re: FMP filter problem
            JillX_1

What if I need to select multiple factories?

Like a,b or a,c?

• 3. Re: FMP filter problem
              philmodjunk

That can be done also if the script checks for multiple selected values and creates a separate find request for each.

We'll refer to the global field as Globals::gFactorySelect

Enter Find Mode[]
              Set Field [YourTable::Factory ; GetValue ( Globals::gFactorySelect ; 1 ) ]
              Set Variable [$K ; value: 1 ]
              Loop
                 Set Variable [$K ; Value $K + 1]
                 Exit Loop if [ $K > valuecount ( Globals::gFactorySelect) ]
                 New Record/Request
                 Set Field [YourTable::Factory ; GetValue ( Globals::gFactorySelect ; $K ) ]
              End Loop
              Set Error Capture [on]
              Perform Find []

• 4. Re: FMP filter problem
                JillX_1

How can I make this global field allow me checking more than one facotry to filter?

• 5. Re: FMP filter problem
                  philmodjunk

Hold down the shift key while selecting values.

• 6. Re: FMP filter problem
                    JillX_1

I tired with checkbox, it works fine with small amount of data in a value list.

If there are hundreds of records in a value list, checkbox is kind of difficult to select.

Is there a way allow me to select like check box, and user friendly?

Thank you!!

• 7. Re: FMP filter problem
                      JillX_1

Thanks Phil!!

• 8. Re: FMP filter problem
                        JillX_1

I tired with swift key and it will give me a continuous option like a,b and a,b,c, not a,c.

Checkbox allows me to select a,c without problem, like I demonstrated above, it's a huge problem with hundreds of data.

• 9. Re: FMP filter problem
                          philmodjunk

Did you hold down the shift key while selecting from the drop down or pop up menu?

That should enable you to select multiple models from the value list.

The only other options I can think of are:

1. Use a selection portal (which can have a scroll bar) where clicking a portal row adds/removes that model to the list used in the find script.
                          2. Put several global fields with the same value list in the header so that your user can select more than one model by selecting one in each field. Then your script uses the values in these fields to build the find requests.
                          3. Put a repeating global field in the header and format it with this value list. A script can loop through these repetitions much like looping through a list of values.
                          • 10. Re: FMP filter problem
                            JillX_1

Oh I see,

I was using drop down, changing to pop up box works perfect!

Thank you Phil!