3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 4:56 PM by philmodjunk

FMP Menus - dimouts?

mattb

Title

FMP Menus - dimouts?

I would dearly love to be able to conditionally dim out specific pulldown menu items in FMP custom menus, although this does not seem possible. 

The situation is I have commercial software that has optional add-on modules.  When somebody owns the add-on modules, I would like the menu choices that pertain to them to be active.  Conversely, if the user does not own the add-on module, the menu choices that pertain to them should be visible, but dimmed out, i.e. not choosable.

Right now it seems the only option I have is that all menu choices are active, but if the add-on module is not present, then I have to bring up a message box that says it must be purchased and installed etc.  This is very awkward, and I really would like to avoid this scenario and have something more elegant...like menu dimouts!

Any advice in handling this situation would be greatly appreciated!

Matt Bloomfield

• 1. Re: FMP Menus - dimouts?
          philmodjunk

Another option is to use the Install custom menu script to selectively install custom menus for each layout. This way, you can have a custom menu set with the value added options and a second menu set that does not list the value added options.

Note that menu item names can be the result of a calculation if you click the specify button. It'd be nice if the calculation allowed you to apply font styles or colors. I haven't tried that, but you can experiment to see if any such function works as there is a textcolor and also a fontstyle function defined in FileMaker. At the very least, such a calculation might be able to append "--Not Available" or some such text to the name of the menu option and it can be set to run a "do nothing" script so that nothing happens when the user selects the option. (Might be a nice way to advertise the value added modules if the user sees what he doesn't have...)

• 2. Re: FMP Menus - dimouts?
            mattb

Phil:

At the very least, such a calculation might be able to append "--Not Available" or some such text to the name of the menu option

Turns out this suggestion led me to the exact results I was looking for!  Instead of using a calculation to return alternate or appended text for the menu item, I'm using it to return no text.  In my case I'm using submenus and using the calculation to return no text  (i.e. the empty string ""). When the condition isn't met, it results in the parent menu item dimming out, exactly what I was looking to do in the first place.  Screenshot illustrating both scenarios is attached.  Thanks!

Matt Bloomfield

• 3. Re: FMP Menus - dimouts?
              philmodjunk

Cool! Saving this info for future use....