6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 1:17 PM by TheTid

FMP not saving "minor" changes

TheTid

Title

FMP not saving "minor" changes

For some time now, I've noticed that FMP 10 doesn't 'remember' if I've done a find or sort or changed layouts, etc. It isn't a major impediment but it is an irritation.

I now discover - from the Help files - that this is deliberate! FMP no longer saves these actions it considers "too minor to be worth bothering with" (my paraphrase).

However, I beg to differ. If I've found something in my main database, I want to see that next time I login. Any major finds or states are in my Script menu anyway, so I can always invoke them if I need.

Is there any way I can override this high-handed assumption that I don't want to see 'minor' events remembered? (They always used to be, in FM6 and earlier, as the Help file admits).

• 1. Re: FMP not saving "minor" changes
          philmodjunk

I think you are misunderstanding the process.

If you open the file when it is located on your computer and you are the only user, you should find these "details" exactly as you have left them.

If the file is hosted from FileMaker Pro or Server and you connect as a client, the layout, found set etc are not retained the next time that you open the file.

It could be possible to store this info at the time you close the file, but this process would require logging this info in a record in a table and then, when a user opens the DB, a script would need to identify the user, find the correct record and use the info stored there to recreate the "state" that the file was in when they closed the file.

But this would only be the case on a hosted database wg

• 2. Re: FMP not saving "minor" changes
            TheTid

Hi Phil

That's not actually the case - I AM on my own computer at home, where I noticed the behaviour. This is an extract from the Help file :

When FileMaker Pro doesn’t save a file
            In FileMaker Pro 6 and earlier, opening and closing a file would cause the file to be saved, even if you did not make any change to the file. In this version, the following actions do not necessarily cause the file to be saved:

•

•

•

•

•

•

•

If you perform any of the above actions without also performing an action that does cause a save (such as modifying data), the file won’t be saved when you close it. FileMaker Pro considers the above actions to be minor changes, and they aren’t saved with the file unless the file is also modified in a more significant way.
            For example, if you open a file, perform a find, and then close the file, FileMaker Pro does not save the found set with the file. However, if you open a file, add a new record, perform a find, and then close the file, FileMaker Pro will save the found set as well as the new record with the file.

• 3. Re: FMP not saving "minor" changes
              philmodjunk

But that only applies if this minor change is the ONLY change made. Any other change, such as editing a record will result in the file being saved and that will save the current layout, found set etc...

So you could just always modify a record and commit the change before closing the file. This "modification" can be a step that modifies a field by setting it to the value that it already has. This can be scripted to take place "OnLastWindowClose".

• 4. Re: FMP not saving "minor" changes
                TheTid

I could try that. It seems a bit 'weird' to have to do that, when in previous versions the file got saved anyway, without having to do it. 

Oh well. "Software knows best". laugh

• 5. Re: FMP not saving "minor" changes
                  philmodjunk

I find it extremely unlikely that I will open a database and only do one of these "minor changes". There's almost always some other data entry task that needs to be done or there would be no reason to open the file.

• 6. Re: FMP not saving "minor" changes
                    TheTid

Oh I often do it! For example, I'll open my main collection database as a result of someone posting something in the hobby forum I'm a member of, find my own example of that particular item, see where I bought it, how much it cost me, then close without doing anything else.