1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 8:43 AM by rjlevesque

FMP related issue - using Setup Factory 9 on runtime solutions...getting windows permissions errors

rjlevesque

Title

FMP related issue - using Setup Factory 9 on runtime solutions...getting windows permissions errors

Ok, may not be a filemaker issue, but it is FMP related and so I am hoping other FMP developers out here may have run into this problem and found a fix or work-around...

Using Indigo Rose Setup Factory, installing my runtime solution to c:/appfolder

If I run the runtime straight out of the folder, works fine. If it is installed using an installer (for software protection of course) it will randomly just not work. It will install, but then when you try to open the solution it throws an error.

Any suggestions, ideas, directions of where to look, anything is welcome...at a loss here

I cannot make this repeat, tried WinXP, Win Vista, and Win 7...just happens randomly on some systems, I cannot find a link between the systems that get this error. Says "side by side configuration is incorrect" whatever that means... LOL

PS - yes, I have also contacted Indigo Rose with my issue.

• 1. Re: FMP related issue - using Setup Factory 9 on runtime solutions...getting windows permissions errors
          rjlevesque

UPDATE - I wanted to update this so that the information may help other FMP developers in the field.

The issue it was found was that the solution was being installed onto a Mac using VirtualBox with Windows running inside a VM. We have found that when using Setup Factory along with a FMP Windows Runtime that VMWare Fusion will provide a more complete OS environment than VirtualBox will. VirtualBox will result in installation errors and permission problems. It appears that possibly VirtualBox may be missing some neccessary drivers and other items that are needed by some software installs. Due to the nature of FMP runtime software this can cause issues in a VirtualBox VM, where it most likely would not inside a VMWare Fusion VM per our testing.

Under normal circumstances the Indigo Rose Setup Factory works fine within a Windows OS to install FMP runtime solutions. The only additional checks that need to be in place are:

• Allow the program to install in your antivirus definition set or allow list
          • perhaps temporarily disengage your firewall
          • use an administrative login during install of said products/solutions when on Microsoft Windows 7 or Vista.