2 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 12:43 AM by bmjboy

FMP11 Demo + Purchase Order Template Help Required

bmjboy

Title

FMP11 Demo + Purchase Order Template Help Required

Hi All - My first post.  Im fairly new to FM, but have some mild experience with earlier versions - but this one is stumping me:

I need to demo a working solution to my manager for a simple purchase order system - and infact, the Purchase Order Template with the FMP11 demo is "Almost" perfect for our needs.....

Im hitting one problem:

I wish to add a table of approx 1000+ products - with simple data such as : Product Code / Product Name / Prodcut Selling Price

Within the purchase order, I wish to click in the "Product ID" field to bring up a DDL to select one of these 1000+ products from the value list - which will, in turn, fill in the rest of the fields along. I know how to set the Product ID filed to bring up a Value List.

We intend to have this down 10 rows for larger orders.

From there, we wish to have the file add up the lines and give us a total.

Its just this linking of a table to have multiple products fetched from the table which is giving me grief!

Look forward to your assistance if anyone can help! (In simple english would be good as Im a tad noobish on FMP11)

Cheers

• 1. Re: FMP11 Demo + Purchase Order Template Help Required
          philmodjunk

I haven't looked at the FMP 11 invoice template. It should be setup with at least three tables Invoices----<lineItems>---Products.  (The actual names may be different.)

Usually, you have a portal to LineItems on your invoices layout and fields in the Lineitems table use the product number to look up description and unit price data from the Products table. Thus the Products table would serve as your "table of approx 1000+ products - with simple data such as : Product Code / Product Name / Prodcut Selling Price."

Is that the structure of the template?

If so, then, "We intend to have this down 10 rows for larger orders" should not be a problem as you simply need to either modify your portal to have at least 10 rows or you enable a scroll bar for it.

The main issue would appear to needing to search a list of 1000+ products quickly and perhaps using auto-complete on the product name field in order to find a given product.

You might want to design a global "search field" with a script that adds the located product to your invoice. If so, you might be able to adapt the following technique to suit your needs:

Tutorial: How to use an auto-complete drop down list when selecting records related by ID number

• 2. Re: FMP11 Demo + Purchase Order Template Help Required
            bmjboy

Hi Phil -it only appeared to be 2 tables : "purchase orders" and "Line items"

I managed to figure it out in the end, by adding another table "Products" and relating that to the same keyfied within "Line Items"

It works how we want it to - thats the main thing

For searching, I set the product code field to a DDL with a value list from "Products"using 2 fields "Product ID" and "Product Name" - As we know our products inside out, this is perfect for us as we can find them quickly by code or name.  Once selected, the remaining fields populate accordingly.

Im hearing our product field may rapidly increase to over 30k products, so I would need to revist in the future to something a little more drillable in terms of search.

For now, this is working, and is suitable enough for my demonstration.