1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 9:00 AM by philmodjunk

FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows

Livebox

Title

FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows

Would some kind soul put me out of my misery here, please?

I have scoured the forum until my eyes hurt and I promise I've read various posts on this topic, but I still can't quite get my head around it.

My database and FMP12 (Advanced) software is on my Mac.

I want to create a standalone runtime solution for a Windows user.

I thought that I could create both Mac and Windows solutions from my Mac.

I've produced a working Mac solution - good times.

I can't produce a working Windows solution - bad times.

I've tried popping the Windows Internal Runtime Libraries folder into the FMI Runtime Resources folder. It appears to do its thing but the generated solution refuses to co-operate for the Windows user.

My ultimate question is:

Do I really need to borrow a Windows machine, install my FMP12 (Advanced) software on it, copy my database across and create the standalone runtime solution for Windows on that machine in order to then pass it on to the intended Windows user?

Apologies if my post seems very 'step-by-step' but I really do need someone to treat me like an idiot to make sure I understand it properly!

• 1. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
          philmodjunk

I thought that I could create both Mac and Windows solutions from my Mac.

Sorry, but this is not possible unless you can run the windows OS on your mac, install the windows version of FileMaker Advanced and then generate the windows runtime from that context.

The process that produces a Runtime copy of your file also creates a "crippled" copy of your FileMaker application file and binds it to a copy of your solution file or files. When you do this on the Mac OS, the process binds a copy of your Mac application file. Do it on windows and the Windows Executable is used to produce that crippled app for binding to the solution files.

Thus, when you are on a Mac system, you can generate a Mac runtime. When you are on a Windows OS, you can generate a windows runtime. You can't do it "cross platform" as the needed application file for the other OS simply isn't present on your machine to use for that purpose.

So yes, you will have to buy/borrow/steal a windows machine to get your windows runtime unless you have Parallels or some Windows OS emulator installed on your Mac system.

And please note that you will also need to use that Windows system to test your run time to make sure that no adjustments are needed in order for your solution to work well on that platform. Often, layouts designed on a Mac system need modification to work on a windows system due to differences in how the text is displayed. (The reverse is not generally true--so developing cross platform solutions starting from Windows has advantages.) Also, solutions that open and close multiple windows may need modification to work in the Windows environment if your solution uses maximized windows.

• 2. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
            Livebox

I really appreciate your clarity even though the answer is not the one I wanted.

At least my brain can stop hurting now.

Many thanks for such a rapid response PhilModJunk (reactivity must be your SuperHero power!).

• 3. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
              schamblee

I run parallels and is better than having two or three different computers.  You do have to purchase each OS.  I have OS X, Windows 7, and Windows 8 all on one computer MacBook Pro.  It's easier to test my databases on each OS.   Filemaker comes with MAC and Windows version on same cdrom.  

• 4. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                Livebox

Thanks for your input S Chamblee.

I've been avoiding that route as I wanted to keep my MacBook Pro clean and unMicrosofted! However, I guess it is an option that I might (grudgingly) put on the table if this is something that I'll be doing more frequently.

In the meantime, I've borrowed a little netbook which I hoped to be able to test my Windows solution on but it doesn't have an optical drive. I tried to copy the entire FM12 install disc from the Mac to a USB drive but the Windows setup.exe file isn't there when I plug it into the netbook.

My FM12 software is fully-registered and proper so there must be a way.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

• 5. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                  schamblee

I guess it must be something you missed when copying.   I had to copy my cd to a hd to install on a new windows 8 tablet computer that does not have a cdrom and my copy worked just fine.

Here is a download link at filemaker http://www.filemaker.com/support/downloads/

I use windows more than osX.  When you use parallels, windows runs in a virtual machine and you can run windows programs right beside your mac programs.  It's not like boot camp where you have to boot either or.  You boot your mac then you can start windows or not. 

• 6. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                    Livebox

All files (including system files) were unhidden in Finder and I'd copied the entire install disc.

They definitely weren't there S Chamblee, honest guv!

I think it's just a simple DRM issue. If you open and/or copy from a Mac it only lets you have access to the Mac install files.

When I opened the install disc on a Windows PC with an optical drive, all the necessary Windows setup files were there with none of the Mac files showing. I copied them to a USB drive and then onto the netbook.

I can now gloriously confirm that I am able to produce a standalone Windows Runtime Solution for my database.

For now I'll keep my Mac Apple-shaped but I will definitely explore the Parallels option in due course.

What a runaround!

• 7. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                      schamblee

I'm sorry, I didn't mean you were being dishonest.  I was just stating that I had copied my cd to a external hard drive and it worked.  I'm glad you got it running.  Also I don't know if Phil mention above or not, and so anywho else that may see this post, runtimes for Go for iPad, iPhone, and iPod must be created on a MAC.

• 8. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                        philmodjunk

Runtimes for Go for iPad, iPhone, and iPod must be created on a MAC.

That's news to me. Care to explain? Runtime database files are exactly the same as FIleMaker Pro files except for the file extension so simply changing the extension back to .fmp12 would work for iOS, as far as I know...

Since you can simply open a regular FileMaker file with the free FM GO 12 App, there's not much reason to use a runtime with iOS devices any way.

• 9. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                          Livebox

Absolutely nothing to apologise for S Chamblee; it wasn't taken that way at all.

'Honest Guv' was just one of my 'quaint little Britishisms'!

I'm glad you mentioned iPhings as it would be duly diligent to test it out on my iPhone as well.

• 10. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                            RickWhitelaw

No such thing as creating a runtime for IOS. The solution will run under FileMaker Go and is therefore not a runtime.

Edit: no way to create a runtime with FileMaker I mean.
                            • 11. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                              schamblee

Go will not run a windows runtime, but you may be right about changing the extension back.  I haven't tested that. 

http://filemakerconnect.com/component/k2/28-filemaker-go/250-using-filemaker-12-runtime-filemaker-go-12-iphone-android-windows-8-surface

I'm was stating it was possible, not that you had to use runtimes.  The user could copy this runtime from their device to their computer and run it from the computer without owning Filemaker.

• 12. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                                philmodjunk

But keep in mind that  a runtime solution consists of two main files plus a lot of utility files. The main two are the Application file and the database file. The database file is identical to a regular FileMaker file except for the fact that it may have different file extension and has been "bound" to a specific application file. That database file is the only file that you would copy over to an iOS device.

AFAIK, that "binding" simply adds the file's name to some part of the application file leaving the file extension the only modification of the file. But with some systems, this could break external data source references--much simpler just to use the original "unbound" database file--perhaps with the admin account removed, with FM GO.

• 13. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                                  davidanders

This article has pictures and good explanations

Using FileMaker 12 Runtime files with FileMaker Go 12
                                  http://hbase.net/2012/04/15/filemaker-12-databases-want-to-be-free/

• 14. Re: FMP12 (Advanced): Simple Runtime Solution from Mac to Windows
                                    schamblee

I was trying to give you a reason why somebody might use a runtime on a device.  I had read a few articles about a year about using runtimes on iOS devices and I use windows more than I do MACs and the runtime I created from windows would not run from within Go.  I created a runtime from my mac and it would run. I really haven't  though about any reason why you would use a runtime on the device.  I was trying to learn everything I could about all of filemaker products and just didn't dig that deep into that subject.  I agree with you Phil, if you have security setup, there is not much reason to use runtime on iOS. 

1 2 Previous Next