1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 10:52 AM by philmodjunk

FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO

GraceLee

Title

FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO

I'm trying to use Intelliscanner SOHO (wireless / USB to computer) scanner with  FMP12 inventory.

I have over 500 items with barcode. What I need to do is, scan all those items whenever I go to the room using SOHO (Wireless/USB scanner), then connect the scanner to the computer and have FileMaker tell me if there is any missing item or discrepancies between the inventory database and barcode from the scanner.

I'm very new to this fileMaker program and I'm trying to gather the information but I haven't been lucky to find exact information that I need.

I know how to build the database by putting each items but I can't find how to make the program load these existing barcode without adding the quantity of the items and give me the difference after comparing the database and the barcode from the scanner.

Inventory tracking - close to 5-10 times a day - is what I need to do with this program.

This is what I have from the scanner company about the function of the scnner.

Since IntelliScanner SOHO functions as a keyboard, it can type into any application. When the "Scanner Services Assistant" window opens prompting you to select an action, select "Type into frontmost application", then click the "Send" button and place your cursor in the field in FileMaker where you want the numbers to be typed

I'll appreciate any advice about this.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
          philmodjunk

Am I correct that you can scan multiple barcodes and then return to the computer to imput these multiple codes all at once?

If so, and you make MS Word or a text editor the front most application and you "send" the data to it, what do you see?

Can you configure this scanner to precede the scanned data with a special character? Can you do the same to put a tab, return or enter character on the end of the scanned text?

You can set up script triggers in Filemaker to better automate the data entry of your scanned data. It's pretty straight forward if you can configure those special triggering characters and you only scan one code at a time into the computer. But we'll need to take a closer look at what is being input if you are sending multiple barcodes to the computer all in one send.

• 2. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
            GraceLee

Hi, PhilModjunk.

Thanks for your information.

Yes, I can sacn multiple barcodes and transfer multiple codes at once and I opened up MS Word and when I connect the scanner, I see all these barcode loading up on the page.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by configuring the scanner to add these special characters.

The reason that I need to transfer multiple barcodes at once is the items are in the studio and the computer is far from where all the equipment is.

That's why I got the wireless scanner and this scanner can hold up to 6000 barcodes before downloading.

Here is the technical spec of this scanner. 

Technical feature set:

•           Portable, ultra-portable barcode scanner with Class 2 integrated laser for unparalleled scanning performance
            •      
            •           Built-in memory and rechargeable battery, so you can scan anywhere
            •      
            •           Professional matte finish and durable construction
            •      
            •           Integrated scan and delete buttons for fast scanning
            •      
            •           Scan all major barcode types: UPC, EAN, Code 39, Code 128, and more
            •      
            •           Scan up to 6000 barcodes before downloading
            •      
            •           Connect and download into any application: SOHO Black types barcodes as if entered on the keyboard

Technical specifications:

•           Supported symbologies: UPC-E, UPC-A, EAN-13, EAN-8, JAN-13, Code 39, Code 128, Codabar, ITF-14, GS1-128
            •      
            •           Connection: USB 2.0; customizable keyboard emulation
            •      
            •           Power: Built-in lithium-ion battery; lasts over 14 hours @ 1 scan/sec; charges via USB
            •      
            •           Memory modes: Tethered; batch and download
            •      
            •           Memory capacity: 6000 UPC-A/EAN-13 barcodes
            •      
            •           Buttons: Scan button, delete scan button
            •      
            •           Weight & Size: 1.1 oz; 1.26” x 0.67” x 2.44”
            •      
            •           Regulatory compliance: CE, FCC, RoHS, IEC 60825-1 Class 2, FDA CDRH Class II

Safety Notices

IntelliScanner utilizes a Class 2 laser. Do not stare into the scanner’s laser light. Not intended for use by children. Please read all of the included consumer safety and regulatory information before use. IntelliScanner has a built-in, rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Like laptop batteries, lithium-ion batteries have a large but finite number of charge cycles.

Complies with CE, FCC, RoHS, IEC 60825-1 Class 2, and FDA CDRH Class II standards.

Please let me what I can do. Thanks again!

• 3. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
              philmodjunk

I asked about what happens when you send a batch of barcodes in a single send to find out in what format they are sent. What character or characters separate each scanned bar code on the MS word page?

Configuring the scanner to add additional characters:

If you scan a single barcode and the label encodes "123". Almost all barcode scanners can be programmed/configured to put specified characters at the begginning and end of the scanned data, which might produce something like:

~123¶

If you specified ~ as a preceding character and the return as a follow on character. Exactly how you do this for a given scanner and what characters you can choose to use for this will vary with each scanner, you'll have to consult the documentation for your scanner and you may even need to consult their tech support to learn how.

But with those added characters to mark the beginning and end of a scan, you can use them to trip script triggers in FileMaker to perform scripts that, for the preceding character, put the cursor in the correct field to recieve the scanned data and for the follow on character, perform a script that processes the scanned data.

This can produce a result identical to what you see at the checkout in a store where all the cashier as to do is pull product after product past the scanner and the stores computers do the rest, adding up the sales total, computing sales tax and updating inventory.

• 4. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                GraceLee

Ok.

about MS word page first.

As a test, I scanned these five barcode 5104425, 5104426, 5104427, 5104428, 5104429 and from one send, this is how it shows on the MS word page.

It doesn't give me any character between barcodes, just barcode number itself. 

If I understand correctly, I need to configure my scanner first to use this program?

I'm really sorry, now I know the concept, but I think I'm quite not sure how to start with configuring scanner and creating script of inventory program.

• 5. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                  philmodjunk

There is a character between each barcode or they would all appear as a continuous line of characters. It's just not a character that is immediately visible to you.

In MS Word, click the ¶ button so that non printing characters are visible. Hopefully, you'll see a ¶ after each barcode value.

How to configure your scanner is not something that I can tell you how to do. You'll need to learn how to do it with your specific scanner. Check the techincal info that is available to you for your scanner.

Nearly any software set up to work with barcode or magnetic strip scanners relies on such special characters. Thus, nearly any scanner should come with the ability to set them up to do this.

• 6. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                    GraceLee

oh ok.

I hit that key and now it shows the character. Do I still need to configure the scanner or I need to work on the script?

thanks.

• 7. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                      philmodjunk

It depends on the degree of automation that you want. It appears that your scanner is already appending a return to the end of the scanned data and this can be very useful in FileMaker in more than one way.

How do you plan to use this scanned data once it has been sent to the database? Creating new records? Searching for existing records for a report? or ??

My best guess from the near nothing that I know about what you need at this moment would be to send the scanned data to a global text field. Without making any changes to your scanner's configuration, you could click or tab to put the cursor in such a field and then send the barcodes. You could then click a buttton that loops through the individual values thus entered into the global field to do whatever is needed with that data.

Where this could change with configuring special characters at the beginning and end of the scanned data is that you could then set this up so that all you do is send the data to the database from your scanner and scripts in FileMaker put the cursor into the correct field or fields and then automatically processes the scanned data without having to click a button to do so.

• 8. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                        GraceLee

My plan is finding discripancies between my inventory on hand(scanner) and my inventory in the database so I can check if there is any missing items in the studio. Serching for existing records without adding any quantity, and get automatic missing or quantity difference item report after comparing existing records would be what I need to do with this program.

Would I still need configuration for this plan?

• 9. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                          philmodjunk

Your last post does not change my last answer. It depends on the degree of automation that you want. But please consider the fact that configuring a scanner is usually pretty easy to do and something you should only need to do once for each new scanner that you acquire.

Whether you click a button or use a script trigger that detects a follow on character, a script can loop through your list of barcodes sent to a single global text field in order to compare physical to theoretical inventories. The exact details will depend on the design of your database and whether a barcode uniquely identifies one physical item or just the type of item. (IF you have 5 identical items in inventory, does each have a different barcode or the same barcode?)

• 10. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                            GraceLee

Oh ok. yea I think I understand a little bit better now.

the answer of your question is, some of the identical items has individual barcode, and some of them are sharing a barcode. For the items that share only one barcode, I have "on-the-go card" that company sent, and it has barcode for number 0-9. so If I have 25 music stands, I scan a music stand barcode on the book and then barcode number 2 and 5 on the card. The scanner will save it as 25 music stands.

I got the respond from scanner company about configuration. Here is the answer from them. 

Yes, you can add additional keystrokes before and after the barcode value. Connect your IntelliScanner SOHO, launch the IntelliScanner Dashboard, then click on the "Setup" tab. Under Setup, click on "Keyboard Emulation & Settings" -- from the setup window, you can add additional keystrokes.

so what would be the next steps for me?

Thanks for your help.

• 11. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                              philmodjunk

For the third time: It depends on the degree of automation that you want. Please re-read my last few posts on this to see what I mean.

For configuring, what happens when you select "custom..."?

• 12. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                                GraceLee

I've read your post, sorry if what I wrote didn't look like that. 

The degree of automation would be just you explain to me.

"Whether you click a button or use a script trigger that detects a follow on character, a script can loop through your list of barcodes sent to a single global text field in order to compare physical to theoretical inventories. The exact details will depend on the design of your database and whether a barcode uniquely identifies one physical item or just the type of item"

If you click custom, nothing happens.

I think if you can give me a set up or programing example for the automation you wrote above, it might help me a little bit better, if you don't mind.

Thanks again.

• 13. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                                  philmodjunk

I haven't explained any degree of automation. I am asking you what do you want to happen when "send" a list of barcodes to your database.

Whether you click a button or use a script trigger that detects a follow on character, a script can loop through your list of barcodes sent to a single global text field in order to compare physical to theoretical inventories. The exact details will depend on the design of your database and whether a barcode uniquely identifies one physical item or just the type of item

Describes TWO options. Which do you want?

Perhaps it was just hidden behind the list of values, but I was looking for the field I see in your last screen shot, a place to specify a custom character.

Here's a link on barcode scanner scripts that may help you, but it assumes scanning and processing one barcode at a time instead of a batch so the methods described may need some adjustment: Need help writing script to integrate barcode scanning

• 14. Re: FMP12 Inventory with Intelliscanner SOHO
                                    GraceLee

When you said "Click a button", which button are you talking about?

What would be the different between click a button and use a script trigger that detects a follow on character?

Thanks for your help.

by the way there is nothing hidden behind the list of value, when I clicked it that was all I can see.

1 2 Previous Next