4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 10:19 AM by WilliamCassels

FMP12 slow, freezes or hangs, reports "not responding" for 30 seconds between clicks

WilliamCassels

Title

FMP12 slow, freezes or hangs, reports "not responding" for 30 seconds between clicks

FMP12.0v4, on Toshiba A505 Intel Core i3 2.13GHz 64bit OS running Windows 7 Home Premium

Same problem in 3 FMP12 files.  All 3 have 27 fields, including text (9 are indexed), date, number (1 indexed), and two container fields (one for image reference, one for thumbnail of same image).  One of these FMP12 files has fewer than 300 records.  Nearly every click to navigate causes about 20-30 second freeze, sometimes leading to report of "not responding" at top of window.  I click only once, and wait until action accomplished.  Even changing from form view to table view or list view takes 10-20 seconds.  Exit Layout leads to 30 second delay, and a "not responding" message before it finally accomplishes the action. 

These files have been slow from day one.  I'm just finally trying to resolve the problem.  Perhaps there is something I can do to optimize the tables or data.  Maybe the image or thumbnail is the problem.  But the fact that the software is even slow for changing views and inputing data in number and text fields and changing fields in the table view, makes me think it's not the image containers.

Help

• 1. Re: FMP12 slow, freezes or hangs, reports "not responding" for 30 seconds between clicks
          philmodjunk

"one of these files"...

Are these all copies of the same files or variations produced from one original file?

Do other Database file on the same computer function normally?

If so, try running a recover on these files and test the recovered copies even if recover reports no problems found with the file. (Recovered files have rebuilt indexes and other settings are returned to "factory spec" so even when no problems are found/fixed by recover, the recovered file may function differently than the original.

• 2. Re: FMP12 slow, freezes or hangs, reports "not responding" for 30 seconds between clicks
            Vincent_L

Look if you've sorted relationship.

I had one which was sorted by the unstored fields it was triggered by ! So this created a kind of loop. I couldn't go to a layout due to that field on it.

I spent months to figure out why !

• 3. Re: FMP12 slow, freezes or hangs, reports "not responding" for 30 seconds between clicks
              WilliamCassels

Thank you for your reply.  I am beginner level with FMP.  I think relationship you mention only applies if I have more than one table, and I "relate" a field from one table to another.  To my knowledge, I only have a single table holding my data, which is an catalog of my digital images.  One field does contain the filename/path to the image, located elsewhere on my computer hard drive, but I don't think there's a "relationship" involved there.  thanks again.

• 4. Re: FMP12 slow, freezes or hangs, reports "not responding" for 30 seconds between clicks
                WilliamCassels

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, the three files have the same field structure.  They are image databases to help me locate images by date, person, genealogy number, place, etc; and they contain a thumbnail of the image, and the image filename/filepath on my hard drive, and display the image itself.  The three files/tables are similar, just with different sets of image data for different parts of my family tree.  All three files have same problem of slow/not responding.

I tried the "recover" operation you suggested, on one of the files, and it does seem to respond better.  I'm going to play with it some more, and try it on the other files in a more scientific method way (i.e. time an operation, recover the file, and then try the same operation again, and compare.)  Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it works.