AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMP13 - A few questions

Question asked by marksystech on Jun 12, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 12, 2014 by marksystech

Title

FMP13 - A few questions

Hello All,

My client is using older FM5 and we are updating them to FM13.  We have decided to rebuild the files and import data rather than to try and convert based on input from this forum.  Thanks to everyone that replied.

I have a couple basic questions that hopefully will help me to decide the path to follow:

1) When you install FMP13 they give you a very nice "Getting Started" example.   I would like to unlock that database and examine the scripts and layouts however when I go to manage it says I do not have rights?   Is there a password I need?  I'm particularly interested in how the file was setup to present the nice menu.  

2) User privileges.   I know FMP has built in rights, right sets, etc.   For this customer I am going to need to allow some people to see a particular layout, others cannot, they will have to go to a different layout.  The idea is that some people should not be able to access/change some table fields (such as is a vendor approved or not).   Is the best way to do this using the built in rights and setting up different views/layouts or would it be a good idea to create a "user" table and store some of that data in there?   Adding to this I have to say the client wants some email triggers so somewhere I will need to store user info with an email.   IE if a PO is created for more than $xxx the office manager would love an automatic email, etc.   Any advice on "users" and rights/security would be much appreciated.

3) Locking/protecting both tables and layouts.  This company is ISO based so things need to follow their procedures and as such many things are "approved documents" including the FM tables and layouts.   I know FM has a locking feature but in general what do FileMaker people general do for table/layout versioning and tracking?

4) Last question - Export/import.  As mentioned above their structures are very old however the data is very valuable.  My plan is to recreate many of the structures in FMP13 and import their old data in place.  However there needs to be some changes.  For example in one older table they have a "notes" field.  Their people are used to erasing and putting in new notes but their ISO requires archiving.  So my plan is to have a related notes table.   When importing their data I need to take whatever is in the "notes" field and create a new record in the notes table with that data.  This sounds and seems like a script.  I've not tried to do export/import with FM scripts.  I assume what I need to do can be done and if not do people general export, run some external process to separate out the data (like "notes" in this case) into a different file, then simply use FMP import?   What is the best approach consider we need to preserve everything but the new FMP13 structure will be changing in some places?

Thanks so much in advance.

Outcomes