2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 12:05 PM by MBschoolLabTech

FMP7.0

MBschoolLabTech

Title

FMP7.0

Hi - I am very new to Filemaker and still experimenting and trying to learn it. I am working on an inventory of computers in our building. I have one field that is a drop down menu with IP Addresses (Ex: 10.10.56, 10.10.87...) and the next field is the last digits of the IP address (.45, .78, etc...) what I would like to do is have that drop down option link back to it's own separate database - so all the numbers 10.10.56 would go to a spreadsheet and then I could print a list of what IP Addresses are being used and by whom - and which ones are available for use. I figured out how to create the 3 drop down categories I need - but how to I tell it that anything with 10.10.56 goes to this database and anything with the option of 10.10.87 goes to another one?

Is this making any sense??

Michelle B 

• 1. Re: FMP7.0
          philmodjunk

Why do you need separate databases/files/tables?

You can put all this data in a single table and use a find to pull up all matching records that start with a given IP address fragment.

Example:

Define your drop down list formatted field as a global field.

Put a button next to your IP address drop down and use it to perform a script such as:

Enter find mode[]

Set Field [Yourtable::YourIPAddressField; YourTable::YourGlobalDropdownField & "*"]

Perform Find[]

If [get (foundcount) > 0]

Go to Layout [select a layout set up to display results in a table or list view]

End if

• 2. Re: FMP7.0
            MBschoolLabTech
               Ugh - you are right! I am making this way more complicated then it needs to be! Thanks for reminding me!