Thank you for your post.
I need to get a better understanding of the problem. If you take the PDF files to another machine, do they display? Or, is it that any PDFs don't display on your machine? I'm trying to narrow it down to see if it is a FileMaker Pro creation of PDF problem, a FileMaker Pro viewing problem (in a container field) or an Adobe PDFViewer problem.
Preview in FMP displays the image. When the pdf is created, there's no image on it, regardless of where the file is opened. The rest of the document is available (all of the data, all text additions, everything except the image ... which is a jpg logo).
I haven't noticed any other issues with other pdf documents (but I don't view many ... and if I didn't create them, I'm not going to be sure if there's something missing).
As with the printing issue we were working on, this is timed perfectly with my new computer which is running Vista rather than XP. Using the same FMP file, I created a pdf on a co-wowrker's machine with no problems at all.
Thanks for your help.
I have found a computer running Vista Business Edition, and I have done the following:
1. I installed FileMaker Pro 8.5 and applied the 8.5v2 update.
2. I launched FileMaker Pro 8.5v2 and created a new database file with a container field.
3. I inserted a JPG file into the container field.
4. I pulled down the View menu and selected "Preview Mode" to see how it would display.
5. I pulled down the File menu and selected "Save/Send Records As -> PDF..."
6. I saved the file to the Desktop, assigned the name a.pdf, and assigned the Save option as "Records being browsed".
7. I then tried to open the PDF file, but I didn't have Adobe Reader installed, so I installed Adobe Reader 9.1 and the PDF file opens exactly as it appeared in Browse/Preview.
I know this file prints properly on other machines, so I know it isn't the file.
I still don't know if this is OS related or FileMaker related. My gut feeling is to uninstall FileMaker Pro 8.5 and then reinstall it. If there is a problem with the extension that creates PDF files, a reinstallation would overwrite it with a new copy. I would then launch FileMaker Pro 8.5 (you may have to reinstall the update), and try again.
This has us both perplexed.
I reinstalled the software and the update ... all seems to be working. Even the printing. Hooray!
Thanks for the help!
Actually - not so fast on that whole: problem solved thingy...
And this is where I beat my head against a wall. Now, some things are printing fine - others are not (a particular report that started the ruckus in the first place) - and the pdf/image thing is back going, at least intermittantly.
Perplexed is a word that fits.
Thank you for the additional information.
Well, it did work for awhile, so now we need to make this work on a consistent basis.
You did mention a "particular report", so I'm wondering if this is a bad layout. Try creating a new blank layout, and then copying all the items from the previous layout and pasting them into the new layout. If there is still a problem printing, then perhaps it is one of the objects. Create a blank layout and INSERT the fields one at a time onto the new layout.