11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 11:06 AM by ralvy

FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location

ralvy

Title

FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location

I noticed that after applying the FMPA 10 v3 updater on my Windows XP box, it uninstalled my FMPA 10 v2 files and installed the new version to the default location (drive C), not the location I had used for my FMPA 10 v2 files (drive G). And I certainly don't remember being asked about the target folder, so assumed it would just use the old one. It didn't. Is there a way to correct this? As far as I know, you have to install the old original files and then apply the updater again, but that will leave me with files on Drive C again, which is not what I want.

• 1. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
          TSGal

ralvy:

I'm attempting to duplicate the problem, but I'm not having much luck.  I don't have a drive G:, only C: and D: on my Dell Dimension running Windows XP.  This is what I have done so far.

1. I removed FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced from my C: drive.  I trashed my FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced folder afterwards.

2. I installed FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced (10,0v1) to my D: drive.  Everything went fine, and I'm able to launch and run FileMaker Pro Advanced 10 from my D: drive.

3. I downloaded the FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced updater to 10.v3.

4. I ran the updater, and after a few minutes, it finished.

5. I first checked my C: drive, and there is no trace of FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced.

6. I then checked my D: drive, and FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced is still located there.

7. I launch FileMaker PRo 10 Advanced on my D: drive, and it displays 10.0v3, and also Help->About FileMaker Pro Advanced... displays 10.0v3.

I am seeking out other machines that have more than two drives.  I will report back when I have more information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
            ralvy

Okay. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling, later. I think my initial installation was on drive C, and then I moved it to G, a long time ago. Perhaps there are some remnants of it on C that the updater saw, and went from there.

I assume I install the original version and then the v3 updater, skipping the intervening updaters. Right?

• 3. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
              ralvy

Got home and tried on that machine as well (my original post concerns my office computer). Same problem. The FMPA 10 v2 install was on the G drive. The updater uninstalled it from G drive and installed it on C drive. I don't see any reason to believe I'll get any different result with an uninstall and reinstall. What I don't understand is the fact that it certainly did see my FMPA 10 v2 install on G drive, since it unistalled it there. I don't think it remembers the G drive when it starts the install. Maybe it won't use letters beyond D or E for the install.

By the way, at home I verified I had no trace of FMPA 10 v2 on drive C before I started the update. That's why I think an uninstall and reinstall would make no difference.

• 4. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
                MikeyG79
                   I just want to know why the "update" is roughly the same size as the older installer itself.
                • 5. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
                  ralvy
                     It apparently is the complete product, not just a patch.
                  • 6. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
                    TSGal

ralvy:

I'm sorry the update doesn't appear to work properly for you.  It may very well be a drive limitation.  I don't know.  I have forwarded your posts along with my findings to our Testing department.  When I hear more information, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
                      ralvy
                         I was getting some stability problems with my FMPA 10 v3 installation (opening Manage Scripts would crash the app). I remembered seeing this with my initial install of FMPA 10, where running the same app under FMPA 9 had no problem but loading it under FMPA 10 would crash the app with Manage Scripts. I could go back and forth, loading it with v9 then v10, with v10 showing the problem consistently with any solution database at all. Reviewing my posts on this forum, I saw that reinstalling FMPA 10 solved it. So I uninstalled FMPA 10 completely, reinstalled it to drive G, and then applied the v3 updater. This time it honored my drive G preference. So tell support to recommend a complete uninstall/reinstall if someone runs into this.
                      • 8. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
                        TSGal

ralvy:

Thank you for the update!  Although solved, we are still actively trying to ways to duplicate your scenario just in case others run into the same symptoms.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
                          ralvy
                             Well, I can't imagine this has anything to do with the problem I had on two different computers, but you might want to make sure support tests by installing the initial FMPA 10, then the two subsequent updaters, in order. My solution involved skipping the first updater.
                          • 10. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
                            TSGal

ralvy:

Here is what we have discovered, and all of this was done on a couple of Windows XP SP3 computers (mostly Dell) so we could emulate your system settings.

We ran several different scenarios, but I think the following three are the most relevant.

Prior to each of the following scenarios, FileMaker Pro Advanced was removed via the Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs".

Scenario 1:

1. Installed FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced (v1) from the original CD to D: drive.

2. Ran v3 updater.  Installation successful to D: drive.

Scenario 2:

1. Installed FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced (v1) from the original CD to D: drive.

2. Ran v2 updater.  Installation successful to D: drive.

3. Ran v3 updater.  Installation successful to D: drive.

Scenario 3:

1. Custom Install of FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced (v1) from the original CD to D: drive.  Did not include IWP.

2. Custom Install of FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced (v1) from the original CD to add IWP.  IWP added to C: drive!  Application still on D: drive.

3. Ran v3 updater.  No web files on C: drive.  Web files added to D: drive.  No application on D: drive.  Application is nowhere to be found.

In all our scenarios, we were unable to have the application move to the root drive.  Scenario 3 is the strangest because you would need to perform a custom installation to a non-default installation path followed by a custom installation to add or remove items before launching the updater.

We have documented this in a Knowledge Base Article (#7321) which can be found at:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7321

I know several months have passed, but if you remember anything about your original installation that you think may be out of the ordinary, please let us know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: FMPA 10 v3 Updater doesn't honor current install location
                              ralvy

I can tell you there was one other thing in common between these two computers. Before installing FMPA 10 official version, I installed and used FMPA 10 Pre Release (as a member of TechNet). Then, when the official release came out, I installed that over the existing FMPA 10 Pre Release. I did this on both computers (I think), and found problems. A TechNet forum user told me that a Pre Release should be uninstalled first before installing an official release. So I later uninstalled the existing official release of FMPA 10, and then reinstalled it, which fixed the problems I was experiencing (I think the problem was missing Help docs). Later, updates were applied, as you know.

Perhaps this is important.