3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 10:45 AM by philmodjunk

FMPro 12 When adding new layout(sheets) to existing starter solutions it is not printing out..HELP

KananiMedeiros

Title

FMPro 12 When adding new layout(sheets) to existing starter solutions it is not printing out..HELP

Hi, 

In FMPro 12 I am using the existing starter solution Event layout but added a few more sheets to it to serve our purpose properly.  But when I print the report (in PDF form) it is not printing the added sheets.  Is there a step I missed or a function that I need to activate?  Any help is appreciated.  

Thanks!

• 1. Re: FMPro 12 When adding new layout(sheets) to existing starter solutions it is not printing out..HELP
          philmodjunk

Are you using New Layout from the Layouts menu to add a new layout or are you enlarging the size of an existing layout?

How are you trying to print from those new layouts? Selecting Print from the File menu or are you clicking a button on one of the original layouts to print?

Printing from a specific layout generally requires these steps:

Find the records you want to print.

Sort them

Select the print set up options you want

Select the printer and printer options such as records being browsed or current record and print (or save as PDF).

This can be done manually by selecting options from the menus or it can be scripted so that all you do is perform the script.

• 2. Re: FMPro 12 When adding new layout(sheets) to existing starter solutions it is not printing out..HELP
            KananiMedeiros

Thank you for your response.

So what I actually did was added more tabs to the existing one in the starter solution.  I added a new blank layout to the file to include those bits of information from the tabs to print like the event report. 

Because our partners do not have filemaker I am PDF-ing the document first then printing or emailing the report.  When it converts to PDF the added layouts are not within the report.  I know I can print each page manually but want to cut that step out as we will be working on multiple events pretty rapidly. 

I will go ahead and try to file print and click on the print report button that is on the original layout to see those results.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: FMPro 12 When adding new layout(sheets) to existing starter solutions it is not printing out..HELP
              philmodjunk

When you print or save as PDF, the print or PDF  job works from a single layout.

To generate a single PDF that incorporates data from multiple layouts, you'd need to create a script that uses Save As PDF with the option to append the file to an existing PDF specified. This will require a basic working knowledge of FileMaker Scripting and how to use a $Path variable to specify the name and location of the PDF file you are creating with your script.

Basics on Save As PDF in a script: Found Sets to PDF with unique file names

To learn more about File Paths, $Path variables, global fields and what script steps can use a Path variable: Exploring the use of a $Path Variable in Scripts

These threads will get you started on the basics, but neither discuss using the Append option to append the PDF being saved to an existing PDF file.