5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 1:46 PM by philmodjunk

FMPro 12.0v3 Advanced, PDF export previews

GFS

Title

FMPro 12.0v3 Advanced, PDF export previews

Hi,

since upgrading to 12.0v3 PDFs generated from within FMPro itself are not being created with previews.

This is annoying because, in order to circumvent FM's printing problems with graphic elements crossing Summary Parts, I am exporting as PDF then re-importing to a different layout, where the graphic elements work, then exporting the final PDF (this is for invoicing).  The lack of a PDF preview means that I am only seeing a generic icon on re-import, even when I check the Inspector to show as an 'image'.  Importing a PDF made with something else is fine.

Any ideas?

Grant

• 1. Re: FMPro 12.0v3 Advanced, PDF export previews
          philmodjunk

By "Import" do you mean that you are using one of the Insert options for inserting a PDF into a Container FIeld?

If so, which method are you using to import it?

If you optimize a container field for interactive content and then use Insert PDF, you should see the first page of the PDF in the container field.

• 2. Re: FMPro 12.0v3 Advanced, PDF export previews
            GFS

Yes I'm using the Insert script step, with the option set to 'display content'.  However, even simply dragging a PDF generated by FMP into a container field, where once it would display the contents, it no longer does.  I just get a generic pdf file icon.

This isn't happening with PDFs made with Preview.app so it's not the Container field settings.

• 3. Re: FMPro 12.0v3 Advanced, PDF export previews
              philmodjunk

But are you using a layout where the field has been optimized for interactive content?

And are you using Insert PDF or Insert File?

• 4. Re: FMPro 12.0v3 Advanced, PDF export previews
                GFS

Forget the script ...

With vs 12.0v2, I found that I could format a container field for 'images' but I could still see the first page of a PDF that I dragged in.

For example, I have an accounting file with a container field, into which I drag screen-grabs or PDFs as part of my paperless office.  This field is formatted for 'images', but PDFs would show their first page.  This has changed with vs 12.0v3.  Now the PDFs just have an icon.

• 5. Re: FMPro 12.0v3 Advanced, PDF export previews
                  philmodjunk

Please Report this in Report an Issue (see tabs at top of this screen), to bring it to the attention of the FileMaker Tech Reps. You can save a lot of typing if you include a link to this thread in your post.

According to the techs at FileMaker, drag and drop is supposed to be the same as embedding the file using Insert Picture, but what you describe does not agree with that, so this would appear to be a bug.