4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 9:54 PM by TuxfordC

FMPro 9  Archiving Records

TuxfordC

Title

FMPro 9  Archiving Records

I am seeking a way to archive records, one or a few at time into a Filemaker file. The database

is used by an organisation who wish to keep a history of their members, when they move away,

or even decease.  I have been appending these to a PDF file - can I append in Filemaker?

Thanks,

TuxfordC

• 1. Re: FMPro 9  Archiving Records
          LaRetta_1

You would create a table with all of the fields for the member.  You need a way to identify what is unique about each member (such as a MemberID or Membership number).  Then you can import member records into FM (as an Update/Add To) matching on this unique ID.  This is how you would apprend in FileMaker.  If the member already exist, it will update the FM record with any changes from the external source and if the member doesn't exist, they will be added to your table.

• 2. Re: FMPro 9  Archiving Records
            davidanders

I would be tempted to make a clone of the database (no records), rename it dbnameArchive, resolve any script or relationship conflicts with the name change and setup a script to export the records into the archive.

• 3. Re: FMPro 9  Archiving Records
              LaRetta_1

davidanders wrote:

... and setup a script to export the records into the archive.

?  One can export and one can import.  But one can't export into. It has not been clearly stated where the records are coming from.  I would be inclined to leave the records in place and flag them as archive (if already an FM file).  So I assume the external source is NOT FileMaker but even if it WAS another FileMaker file, an import would be the requirement, I think. 

• 4. Re: FMPro 9  Archiving Records
                TuxfordC

LaRetta wrote : " I would be inclined to leave the records in place and flag them as archive (if already an FM file). "

Thank you for that. An option I had not considered. This is not a very big file in terms of record numbers, but the records are

large with about 200 fields.  Yes, it is a Filemaker database, written by someone else (no longer available) and I have

inherited its maintenance and development. My apologies for not stating the source  in my query.

I had already looked into the option suggested by David and it appeared that I could the whole file, but not append

records from one FM file into another.

TuxfordC