3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 8:02 AM by TSGal

FMPro 9 won't launch in Windows under Safe Mode

gold9999

Title

FMPro 9 won't launch in Windows under Safe Mode

I have to run my Windows XP laptop in Safe Mode while I wait for a system reinstall CD.

I can open all my word-processing docs and spreadsheets,  but Filemaker Pro v.9 won't launch. I am getting a message that error # -158 occurred (yes, that's "minus one-five-eight") and FileMaker Pro could not complete authentication. Apparently, FMPro doesn't like the cramped conditions of Safe Mode... :smileyhappy:

And that leads to another major concern. I will need to do an operating system reinstall (that's why I am stuck with Safe Mode for now). Will FMPro "miss" some piece of software it had dropped into the Windows folder?

I would greatly appreciate any insights.

• 1. Re: FMPro 9 won't launch in Windows under Safe Mode
          TSGal

gold9999:

Thank you for your post.

A -158 error is a classic symptom of our activation system.  The exact message is probably:

A general activation alert has occurred (-158).

This is usually an indication that the FLEXnet service is not running.  The FLEXnet service is required in order to activate your copy of FileMaker Pro (or Advanced).  You may have disabled this service not realizing this is required for activation.

Verify that FLEXnet Licensing Service is not disabled.  If disabled, change the startup type to Manual in Services:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.

2. Couble-click the "FLEXnet Licensing Service".

3. In the Startup type list, choose Manual then click OK.

If you confirm that the FLEXnet Licensing Service is enabled and still receive the error message, uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro (or Advanced) should resolve this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMPro 9 won't launch in Windows under Safe Mode
            gold9999

Thank you for your suggestion, TSGal.

I tried to turn on FLEXnet Service following your instructions. I am getting the following message:

"Could not start the FLEXnet Licensing Service on Local Computer. Error 1084: This service cannot be started in Safe Mode."

So... if FileMaker Pro 9 cannot run without FLEXnet; and if FLEXnet won't turn on in Safe Mode... would it be true to state that FileMaker Pro 9 cannot operate on a PC running Windows in Safe Mode?

I will greatly appreciate any insights.

• 3. Re: FMPro 9 won't launch in Windows under Safe Mode
              TSGal

gold9999:

I'm out of ideas here, and after talking with another Support Technician, it appears that FileMaker Pro 9 will not run on a Windows machine in Safe mode.

Has anybody else had luck running FileMaker Pro 9 in Safe mode? 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.