4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2010 8:34 AM by yson

FMPro and FMserver

yson

Title

FMPro and FMserver

Hi, All

I have a simple(?) question as a filemaker beginner.   What is the main difference between Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Server ?   Just  about  user number ?   What about the compatibility ?   AfterI  making an application such as inventory management program with Filemaker Pro/Adv.,  need any modification to use these program under the Filemaker Server ?   Or  use with Filemaker Server  simply ?    

yson.

• 1. Re: FMPro and FMserver
          mrvodka

FileMaker server offers the ability to server your files that you created in Pro on a dedicated machine. It is used when you have multiple users. FileMAker Pro offers the ability to share the file Peer to Peer. However, one copy would be the "host" and then the rest connect as clients. If you had server, everyone using Pro would be a client and the server application would only serve as a host.

In addition, server allows one to have scheduled backups, run scheduled script ( limited ), etc.

If you go the peer to peer route, there are some best practices that you should look out for such as not letting someone use that host copy directly because it would change global fields etc. Personally, I always recommed server if can be.

• 2. Re: FMPro and FMserver
            yson

Hi,

Thanks for  good explanation. However,  are there any differences for programming between Pro and Server ?

• 3. Re: FMPro and FMserver
              mrvodka

No. You develop in Pro / Pro Advanced. Server just serves. The only thing different is that when you want to create scripts that are run by the server ( server side script ), you will have to make sure the script steps are server compatible. There is a checkbox option for it when you are editing a script on the bottom left side.

• 4. Re: FMPro and FMserver
                yson

Hi,

Thank you.  Now I figure out what the difference is exactly.