1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 9:39 AM by philmodjunk

FMPro v. 10+: Using Touch Screen

peteajr

Title

FMPro v. 10+: Using Touch Screen

In order to collect cleaner data from our student users we are hoping to eliminate (as much as possible) the use of a keyboard and switch to a touch screen.  This will be new to me.

Can anyone describe the steps and hardware needed to begin my research into converting to touch screen technology? Perhaps point me in the right direction for more information.

Currently the dbs we use are on Mac FMSA 10.x and the data is collected on Macs running FMP10.x

We will also be using a magnetic card reader to get the student ID into the first field in a new record.

In our most simple request for service dbs, the student will then be presented with onscreen choices in the form of buttons: radio and checkbox choices, pulldown menus, etc.,  and a submit button. 

Can this be fairly easily accomplished?  I've seen some references to onscreen keyboards as well which could be helpful too.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: FMPro v. 10+: Using Touch Screen
          philmodjunk

This is very simple to set up. A monitor with a touch screen capability and a Magnetic Strip Reader "wedge" can be connected to your system and Filemaker will respond to the input from these devices just as though you typed in the info from a keyboard. You research barcode and Magnetic strip reader threads on this forum (Barcode readers work almost identically so threads on Barcode readers will give examples that also work with MSR systems.)

You can google search for the hardware, just make sure that they can operate in "keyboard emulation mode" (almost all do).

I have a solution here that reads name and address data off state drivers license Mag strips so once you get started with some actual hardware, feel free to post back about some of the nuts and bolts on MSR systems.