4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2009 11:07 AM by raybaudi

FMPro10 standard vs advanced?

DonorTracker

Title

FMPro10 standard vs advanced?

I'm trying to decide between the standard and advanced versions of FMPro 10.

Couple questions:

1) Can the Mac advanced version make a Windows stand-alone database?

2) Are the additional copy&paste features of advanced "must-haves"?

3) Other reasons for a FM beginner to have advanced over standard?

The price difference *is* an issue, but can be overcome with adequate justification/info.

• 1. Re: FMPro10 standard vs advanced?
          Jade

Hi DonorTracker,

Here is my take on your questions:

1) Yes …and no.  The Mac FMP Advanced version can create a database solution that can be bound using the Developer Utilities from the  FMP Advanced Windows version.  My download (FMP 9 Advanced for Mac) did not contain the Window resources.  So, until someone sets me straight, you will need to buy a license for FMP Advanced for Windows too.  This is quote from their manual:-

"Binding installs system files pertaining to each platform. If your solution will be used in Windows, bind it using the Developer Utilities for Windows. If your solution will be used on Mac OS X, bind it using the Developer Utilities for Mac OS X. If you’re creating a solution to be used on both Windows and the Mac OS X, create two separate runtime solutions by binding the original solution files twice: first using FileMaker Developer Utilities for Windows, and then using FileMaker Developer Utilities for Mac OS X."

2) No.

3) FMP Advanced is the only way to make stand-alone applications with custom menus.  I haven't seen any upgrade policy that would allow you to switch to the advanced version for the price difference.  So if you are thinking of making a runtime application for your users in the future, my advice is to buy the Advanced license up front.

Hope this helps. 

• 2. Re: FMPro10 standard vs advanced?
            raybaudi
               Hi DonorTracker

go to buy the Advanced version.

To be more specific, you'll have great advantages from the standard version and it is a MUST for developers.

Speaking of platforms, both can be used on Macs AND on Windows pc; IOW the installation disk works on both platforms.

• 3. Re: FMPro10 standard vs advanced?
              ncam

Hi,

I'm using FM Pro Advanced 8.5.

I find it's ability to make custom functions a very useful feature for simplifying calculations in scripts and calculation fields. This part alone has been worth the extra cost to me.

The tools for debugging scripts come in handy too. 

I originally used the regular versions, from FM 3 to 7.

- You need a windows version (in 8.5 at least, to make a windows stand-alone solution) 

- additional copy/paste features are a nice timesaver but not necessary 

• 4. Re: FMPro10 standard vs advanced?
                raybaudi
                   > You need a windows version (in 8.5 at least, to make a windows stand-alone solution)

No, you do not need a window version, you need ONLY a pc where to install FileMaker from the same CD that you used for installing on a Mac.