3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 8:11 AM by TSGal

FMPro9 Mail script crashing in OS X 10.5.5

ChrisH

Title

FMPro9 Mail script crashing in OS X 10.5.5

We have recently upgraded to FMPro 9, running under Mac OS 10.5.5 on an Intel iMac with 4Gig of RAM. We have a database of members and an email script that gathers the email addresses of the members and puts them into the BCC field of a single email to send out newsletters and announcements. I am using Mac's mail.app<p><p>This script used to work perfectly but since the upgrade to version 9 it is crashing filemaker when the number of records in the found set is large. It works ok on a small number (there are about 1200 records in the DB, it works when the found set is up to about 100, but when it is 900+ it crashes filemaker). When I run the script the Mail app is foregrounded, but then nothing happens and I soon get spinning wheels. Eventually I get the message that Filemaker is not responding. <p><p>Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

• 1. Re: FMPro9 Mail script crashing in OS X 10.5.5
          TSGal

ChrisH:

Thank you for your post.

When you use the Send Mail script in FileMaker, it sends a message to the Mail application and puts it in the Out box.  FileMaker depends on Apple Mail preferences to send the file.  That is, make sure Apple Mail preferences is to check for mail on a regular basis.  That is, every minute, especially when you are sending a lot of messages at once.  Perhaps Mail is trying to send out messages as FileMaker is sending messages to Mail.  If you set the preferences to Manual, see if the problem continues.  If it works fine, then you can send all the messages at once from Mail.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMPro9 Mail script crashing in OS X 10.5.5
            ChrisH

Thanks TSGal, but that is not how the script works in my setup - when it works. And I think my setup is standard, but can't be sure. When it works the Mail script creates a new message window in Mail and treats this message as a new draft which needs to be either 'Sent' or 'Saved as a draft'. The new message is not put into my outbox waiting to be sent automatically...is not now, and never has been.<p><P> When the script crashes it foregrounds the main Mail window, but does not create a new message window. NOTE I am not sending multiple messages, just one message to multiple addresses, all listed in the BCC field.

• 3. Re: FMPro9 Mail script crashing in OS X 10.5.5
              TSGal

ChrisH:

Thank you for the clarification.

Using FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.5.5, I just sent 1000 messages to myself (about an hour).  However, I set mine up for "No dialog", so it was all sent automatically.  What I did notice is that the email was sent automatically.  It was not put into my out box, so the information I gave you previously was incorrect.

I tried doing it your way by having the dialog box appear for each message, but after 50+ records, I got bored pressing "Send" each time.

Then again, I'm a little confused...  You said you are only sending one message.  Can you tell me more about your script to get all the addresses into the BCC field?  I'm wondering if the number of entries in the BCC field is causing the crash.  Can you modify the script to send 10 messages, each with 100 names in the BCC field?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.