3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2009 1:32 PM by ErichWetzel

FMSA hosted file, global message field won't hold same content for all users.

ErichWetzel

Title

FMSA hosted file, global message field won't hold same content for all users.

We have a hosted file with a startup screen which we want to show announcements to the staff on.

Currently I am editing the layout and manually entering text in the layout.

This would be much easier if I could use a global field, limit edit access, and add announcements just by entering the field.  I have set up the global field, but quitting the application drops the content.  This seems to work for a single use database but not one that is hosted.

Ideas for single editable announcement field?  I am looking to avoid additional tables and a field in every record as we have >5000.

Thanks - Erich 

• 1. Re: FMSA hosted file, global message field won't hold same content for all users.
          Orlando

Hi Erich

Global fields are session specific when running a file on FileMaker Server, where as databases run locally of the users machine the contents is stored, so if you wanted a hosted file to always hold the same value in a global you would need un-host the file and open it on a local copy of FileMaker and close it, then re-host it.

However for what you want, where you modify the contents regularly, the simplest solution to implement would be to include a Set Field script step in a start-up script that sets the global field as users go into the database. You would just need to edit this script step when the news changes. Do you have a script that runs when the database is opened?

Or create a single record table that is related to the TO of your startup page and display the field with the announcement from that table instead of the global, but if you would prefer not to have an additional table then the startup script would be the way to go.

Let me know which you would prefer and if you need me to I can walk you through it.

• 2. Re: FMSA hosted file, global message field won't hold same content for all users.
            ErichWetzel

Orlando,

Thanks for the ideas.  I had thought that the globals were session specific, but was not sure.  

Your second idea is similar to the best I had come up with before posting.  Startup page would be the single record table showing announcements.  "Enter" button takes user to the main menu of the existing table.

The script step edit would possibly take longer than the layout edit I'm doing now.

I'll leave this open to ideas for a while.  Thanks.

-Erich 

• 3. Re: FMSA hosted file, global message field won't hold same content for all users.
              ErichWetzel

Orlando, 

I went with the single record table method.

Thanks again.

-Erich