7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 9:30 AM by CraigFiore

Follow up Flags

CraigFiore

Title

Follow up Flags

Hello,

I am trying to create "follow up" flags, or alerts for my data base. I have thought of several ways of creating it but I only want to do it once. I am hopping I can benefit from others experience.

Currently, I have a table for Work Orders, Estimates, and a Main Menu. What I would like it is to have an alert on the Main Menu showing the user how many records he/she needs for follow up with, also I want to be able to list them out or link them some how. 

Any Ideas?

Craig

FM 10 (not Advanced) 

• 1. Re: Follow up Flags
          mrvodka
             Can more than one person mark a record for followup at a time?

• 2. Re: Follow up Flags
            CraigFiore

Yes it is possible but very unlikely to have two or more people be in the same file at one time. We are a small company, under 5 people working on FMP.

But there may be more than one person to be flagged for follow up on the same record.

Hope this helps. 

• 3. Re: Follow up Flags
              mrvodka

Well if that is the case then I would recommend that you use a new join table that would just hold the keys for the WorkOrderID and the account name of the user.

Then you can use a portal to display the related Work Orders assigned to that person. A script can be used to "flag" and remove flag ( add record / delete record in the join table ).

• 4. Re: Follow up Flags
                CraigFiore

Thanks for the help, I will try to work that out. 

Forgive me for being a beginner, but  what is a "join table" and is there a special way to set it up?

• 5. Re: Follow up Flags
                  mrvodka
                     Well a join table is used for many to many records. I assumed that you would have a user table but if you dont, then its not really a join table. Its just a table that stores all the marked records.
                  • 6. Re: Follow up Flags
                    davidanders

This is so old school I hesitate to suggest it.

In the old days (ver 4) clients wanted a way to retain found sets and they were not sophisticated enough for finds.

A little square box that changes color when you click it, going from white to green to yellow to red to white.... 

Field  "MarkOne"  Type Number

Intended to have a 0, 1, 2, or 3 entered

Field  "MarkColor"  Type Container Global Repeating (four repetitions)

First repetition a container with white pasted into field

Second repetition a container with green pasted into field

Third repetition a container with yellow pasted into field

Fourth repetition a container with red pasted into field

Field  "MarkOneColor"   Type calcution   Result Container 

Case MarkOne [0, MarkColor:Rep1; 1, MarkColor:Rep2; 2, MarkColor:Rep3; 3, MarkColor:Rep4]

In a record whether entry or list, the MarkOneColor container field (a little square) has a script attached that will increment MarkOne number field by 1, when 3 goes to zero.

It changes from white, green, yellow, red, white, etc which each single click

In a list view in the header, or in a Find Layout the attached script would do a find for the current color. (the number in MarkOne) 

The fields have no real labels or meanings - could signify anything

One such field gives four possiblities

Two such fields give 16 possiblities

Three give 64 possiblities 

I am sure there are more elegant and possibly simpler approaches. This has worked for some clients. 

• 7. Re: Follow up Flags
                      CraigFiore

Thanks, that may work.