3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 9:30 AM by philmodjunk

Font Deployment: Making Font-Face Available on Server?

rwjcampbell10

Title

Font Deployment: Making Font-Face Available on Server?

Been working on a redesign. At the stage of order-tracking and currently have a working draft, I have been requested by company to provide barcode tracking. Would prefer to stay away from $$ plugins. 

Currently have a scannable barcode font installed on the machine I am using for development. Works well on my machine and prints readable barcodes. 

Is there anyway to make this font-face visible server wide or would it  need to be installed individually on each machine? (Approx. 15 machines in different geo-locations and staff with limited tech experience) Trying to avoid the installation If I can. 

All responses appreciated!

• 1. Re: Font Deployment: Making Font-Face Available on Server?
          philmodjunk

As far as I know, you'll need to install the font on each client machine, but only if that machine will be printing barcode labels or otherwise displaying the data in barcode format. If you will only be scanning barcodes at that machine, you don't need the font to do that.

• 2. Re: Font Deployment: Making Font-Face Available on Server?
            rwjcampbell10

That is kind of what I had thought.

As a tangential thought: Can you think of a simple script  to save font as image and store to container? (TimeSpent Vs.Impact may is mots likely an issue here so don't worry to much)

I will most likely end up doing the font installation

• 3. Re: Font Deployment: Making Font-Face Available on Server?
              philmodjunk

I'm not seriously suggesting this, but the simplest script that comes to mind would be using Insert From Device with FM Go to scan each barcode and insert the image into a container field during the scan. surprise

Many years ago when I was using Macs, I could script FileMaker to enter preview mode, and copy would copy a Pict file to the clipboard of the current preview. That doesn't seem to work though in FileMaker 13 on Windows 7...

Hmmm, wonder if a system script can do a screen capture?

If so, you might use FileMaker to perform the system script (Apple script, windows command line, VBScript...)

and then Paste the screen capture into a container field.

But that seems like more work than installing the font on each computer that needs it.