1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 10:32 AM by davidanders

Fonts corrupt on screen in Windows.

sharmincassady

Title

Fonts corrupt on screen in Windows.

My User is experiencing fonts corruption on her PC. This happened a year ago on a Mac machine and we discovered that we needed to trash the "com.apple.ats" file and restart FileMaker. Since this user is on a PC, that file doesn't exist. I did find a "Filemaker Pro Fonts.FMF" file buried in the Documents/Settings folder. I trashed it, and restarted the machine, but the problem still exists. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Fonts corrupt on screen in Windows.
          davidanders

Try this first, if the cache is corrupt, it should solve the problem

If it is a corrupt font, the problem will recur, either immediately or eventually.

Font Cache troubleshooting

If your fonts are not appearing correctly in the font menu or in documents (“garbled” is a common term for this), then one of the best solutions is to clear your font cache. Depending upon your system and application programs, this may entail deleting multiple font cache files.

What is a font cache file?
          These are files used by the operating system and certain applications to keep track of what fonts are installed. If the font cache gets corrupted a variety of problems can ensue, including fonts not appearing in the font list in an application, or wrong fonts (or missing fonts) in documents.

How to clear the font cache
          The best approach to delete the font cache file(s). It’s OK to delete these files, as they will automatically be restored once your system is restarted, or when you relaunch an application.

Windows 2000/XP/Vista

The Windows operating system has a font cache file that is located here:
          C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT
          Delete this file, and restart your system. A new FNTCACHE.DAT file will be created on startup.