7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 2:23 AM by drschnitz

Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade

Rob_1

Title

Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade

After upgrading to Lion the font Arial no longer appears, layout text and field text. The data is all there, just not displaying. I created a new database and added a test field and layout with Arial font. No luck. I can change to a different font and everything displays normal. However, as soon as I use Arial the text is no longer visable. Can anyone help. I have a huge database with mand layout using Arial.

• 1. Re: Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade
          mps1773

Hello Rob

This is a very common problem where I work. It almost always has to do with MS Office installations. If you have MS Office installed, try 1) a reinstallation of MS Office or, 2) delete the Fonts folder where MS Office places its own fonts. Item one is a good idea, regardless (I am not a big fan of the migration function in mac when updating). Item 2 is what always works for us when the fonts do not display on a mac, the folder is located in "/Library/Fonts".

• 2. Re: Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade
            mps1773

Addendum:  I have refused to upgrade to Lion until after the turn of the year or several updates from both Lion and FM. I cannot afford force closes on the machine I dev with. It is VERY bad for developing dbs. Since Lion is a "new creation" mac OS, these mac foibles may not apply to the Lion version. Likely, but no guarantee. 

• 3. Re: Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade
              Rob_1

MPS1773

Thank you for the suggestion. I do not have MS Office installed. However, took a look at the fonts folder as you suggested and found that I had several of the same font. I deleted the duplicates and everything seems to be back to normal now. Thank You!!

• 4. Re: Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade
                philmodjunk

This has previously been reported as an issue with Snow Leopard. Interesting to see that this can happen with Lion as well...

• 5. Re: Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade
                  drschnitz

What do you mean by found several of same font?  I have same issue with Arial not showing.  I went to Library/Fonts and saw only one Arial.  Also, I don't understand what is meant by where MS Office places its own fonts.  Where is that?  Thanks.  

Bill Schnitz

Filemaker User in my office

• 6. Re: Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade
                    bumper

The are multiple Library's in OS X, one for the System and the others for each User, applications often go for the user Library. If you open the Font Book application it should tell you how many and what fonts you have available and where they are stored. I believe (haven't used it since I gave up InDesign) FB puts a bullet in front of duplicates sets.

• 7. Re: Fonts do not display after Lion upgrade
                      drschnitz

Thanks, Bumper.  I found this FontBook app of which u speak.  It had a big yellow triangle on several fonts and this indicated which fonts had duplicate files. There was some menu option for getting rid of duplicates and voila it was solved.  Cool program or app.  Thank you.  That was pretty frustrating for a week.

Bill Schnitz

FileMaker user in my office