5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 9:58 AM by philmodjunk

Fonts/format not working

ahutler

Title

Fonts/format not working

Hello,

My name is Elizabeth. I am starting a new blank layout in Filemaker Pro v. 11.

I go to insert an object (which is a word document in size 9 Arial font).

When I print, it always comes out as size 12.

Also, the doc. is a legal letter, how can I adjust the drafing table in the layout mode to accomidate this.

Thank you.

Sorry Phil,

I wasn't trying to confuse anybody. I was fearful that because I replied to my own post with the info. about what FM version I was using, that the post would be assumed to be answered and therefore, ignored.

When I am in the Layout Mode I have the layout selected as Blank Form, I go to Insert...Object...and select a Word document that is a legal size document on my desktop.

When it opens in the layout, I try to print this form and the font is size 12 arial (the document is size 9) also not all of the document fits, because of the size upgrade or what but eventhough my printer knows this is a legal size/i have the correct paper in, it only prints 2/3 of the document. The rest is cut off.

I would insert a screen shot, but I just found out that my laptop doesn't support that function.

• 1. Re: Fonts/format not working
          philmodjunk

This is a duplicate post: Font won't stay the right size

Duplicate posts lead to confusion and wasted effort. If you post a question and don't get an answer, you can reply to your own post and this will bump it back up to the top of the Recent Items section.

I'd post an answer, but I can't quite picture what you are describing here. A more detailed post, perhaps with a screen shot (you can edit your original post to include one) might help explain your issue more fully.

• 2. Re: Fonts/format not working
            ahutler

Sorry Phil,

I wasn't trying to confuse anybody. I was fearful that because I replied to my own post with the info. about what FM version I was using, that the post would be assumed to be answered and therefore, ignored.

When I am in the Layout Mode I have the layout selected as Blank Form, I go to Insert...Object...and select a Word document that is a legal size document on my desktop.

When it opens in the layout, I try to print this form and the font is size 12 arial (the document is size 9) also not all of the document fits, because of the size upgrade or what but eventhough my printer knows this is a legal size/i have the correct paper in, it only prints 2/3 of the document. The rest is cut off.

I would insert a screen shot, but I just found out that my laptop doesn't support that function.

• 3. Re: Fonts/format not working
              philmodjunk

What are the exact steps you are taking to insert this object and why are you inserting it?

Are you inserting it as a Graphic Object or are you inserting it into a container field? Why insert it as an object instead of as a file?

It may work better for a number of reasons to insert it into a container field as a file and then export the field contents to your temporary folder to open it in word and print it from there.

• 4. Re: Fonts/format not working
                ahutler

I want to place certain fields from my table on top of this form.

What I have been doing.For example I go to

Insert

Object

Create from file, Iselect the doc. I want, and click "ok"

This doc. has areas that I can populate info. from that database into. For example we have a field called "artist's name", "title", "condition", etc. I want that information, to be inserted into this document. If I make this a big container field that shows the document, can I place other fields on top of the container field and gather data that way?

• 5. Re: Fonts/format not working
                  philmodjunk

You could, but I'm not sure it would work any better. What version of filemaker are you using? In filemaker 11, you can't select Insert | Object, instead you have Insert | Graphic Object so I think you may be using an older version.

"This doc. has areas that I can populate info. from that database into. For example we have a field called "artist's name", "title", "condition", etc. I want that information, to be inserted into this document."

How are you doing that?

Did you know that in word, you can set up a merge that pulls data from either filemaker or a merge file exported from filemaker? This may work better for you.