8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2014 8:10 AM by philmodjunk

Footer position

FileMakerNovice

Title

Footer position

Hello,

I have a real newby question that I just can't seem to figure out.  I have a navigation bar at the bottom of several of my layouts.(Form View)  I would like this to remain at the bottom of the window, regardless of window size.  Let's use a rectangular object of page length as an example.  This is my footer... yay.
           |=========================|

Currently, I have a header, body and footer:
           |------------------Header----------------|
           |------------------- Body  ----------------|

I now have a layout that is going to be twice the size of the viewable area:
           --------------Window Cutoff------------

So... now, to get to the navigation bar, you have to scroll all the way down.  Is there a way to make the footer dynamic and always at the bottom of the window?:
           --------------Window Cutoff------------

• 1. Re: Footer position
          philmodjunk

In Browse Mode, in List View, the footer will always be positioned at the bottom of the window and the header will always be positioned at the top.

• 2. Re: Footer position
            FileMakerNovice

Gr... that's what I was thinking.  Was really hoping I was missing something.  Guess there is a not way to have a footer to the "window", just a footer to the "page".  Guess I'm going to have to reevaluate what I got.

• 3. Re: Footer position
              philmodjunk

I'm not sure that I understand. The footer IS anchored to the bottom of the window. What part of that is not what you had in mind?

• 4. Re: Footer position
                FileMakerNovice

I apologize for not being clear and using the best of terminology.

My ultimate goal is to have an object that is always visible and at the bottom of the viewed area of the window.  This object is a navigation bar.  If the body were say 2000 pt, the window size 1000 pt, it's at the bottom, you can see it, you can click it to get to some other key layouts, tools, scripts, etc.  If the window size is 10 pt, it is also at the bottom.

In table view, this is how the footer functions.  Regardless of what is in the body, regardless of how many records, how large the body is, etc, the objects that are in the footer stay at the bottom of the viewable window.  Where as, in Form View, if the body is say 2000 pt but the window size is 1000 pt, you will be required to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the footer.

So... I guess rephrasing, in Form View, I want to have an object anchored to the bottom of the viewed area of the window.  Currently, I can only figure out how to have it anchored to the bottom of the page, requiring a scroll down to see it, if the body exceeds the current viewed window size.

• 5. Re: Footer position
                  philmcgeehan

I've just had a little play with the footers in form view, and it seems, in Win FMP12A at least, the footer is always under the body, and not above the bottom of the window (if that makes sense).

In other words it's not a window footer, it's a layout footer.

It doesn't look like you can have a footer that is locked to the bottom of the window, because it would effectively make FM change the height of the body depending on your view/zoom/scroll position, and it can't do that.

Does your layout really need to be so long that it doesn't fit on the screen without scrolling up and down?

• 6. Re: Footer position
                    philmodjunk

Try this:

Isolate your current record as a found set of one record. Select "View as List". Now scroll and resize your window.

That illustrates the key difference: in LIST view, as I specified in my original post, the footer stays as part of the bottom edge of the window. With a bit of thought and scripting, you can set up a Form View with a found set of records (hidden away on another layout with a different table occurrence of the same table) and use Nav buttons to move forward and backwards through your records while keeping a found set of a single record on your layout so that you can use List View instead of form view to keep the footer (and the header) where you want it.

• 7. Re: Footer position
                      FileMakerNovice

Awesome.  That's what I'm going to work on.  Basically, I just have to script a find that will always result in one record shown.  I felt that this is the way I was going to need to go but was hoping I was just missing something simple.

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Footer position
                        philmodjunk

You might also use Go to Related records with a self join instead of a scripted find. Layout A is based on Table Occurrence A. You perform a find to get your found set of multiple records. Table Occurrence A is linked by primary key to the same field in Table Occurrence B. GTRR is then used to pull up a single record on a layout based on Table Occurrence B.

A script to bring up the next record then follows this pattern:

Freeze Window
                             Go to Layout ["Layout A" (Table Occurrence A)]
                             Go to record/request/page [next]
                             Go to Related records [Show only related records ; Table: Table Occurrence B ; Layout: "Layout B" (Table Occurrence B ) ]

And I will point out that your illustration in your original post shows a typical list or table view--which is why I found that post puzzling as footers do exactly what you wanted when in List or Table view.