5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 8:56 AM by philmodjunk

Force Classic Layout

Christian

Title

Force Classic Layout

Is it possible to have two different style layouts in one database file - say, one for viewing on the FM Application, and one for viewing in a web browser?

I really do not want to change the layout that I worked hard to create only because it is not supported in IWP...  Are there any options?

• 1. Re: Force Classic Layout
          Sorbsbuster

If you create navigation buttons to navigate to that layout you can trap for the current application.  If it is FM the user is taken to one layout, if it is IWP the user is directed to the classic layout.

Use Get (ApplicationVersion )

•

Pro version for FileMaker Pro

•

ProAdvanced version for FileMaker Pro Advanced

•

Runtime version for FileMaker Runtime

•

FileMaker Web Publishing version for FileMaker Web Client

•

Web Publishing Engine version for FileMaker Server Web Client

•

xDBC version for xDBC Client

•

Server version for FileMaker Server

• 2. Re: Force Classic Layout
            philmodjunk

I don't know for sure if this is correct, but based on reports made by others here in the forum, I think IWP may have issues with the Non-classic layout even though it is not brought up in IWP. In that case, you may need to set up a new file with the classic layouts in a Convert to Seperation Model where the data resides in its own file. A separate interface file can then retain your current layout for use by users using FileMaker Pro clients to access the db instead of a web browser.

• 3. Re: Force Classic Layout
              Christian

Actually, I DO want to use the Classic layout for IWP.  It's just that I've created the current theme in something other than Classic, and I was wondering if I duplicated that layout, and just changed the theme to Classic, yet still keeping my original theme for those who want to view the file in the native FM application.  And just having a script determine what platform a user is using, and then serving the appropriate layout - Classic for IWP, and the other one for the application.

What Sorbsbuster wrote, I think, is close to what I need, but I'm not sure what the script steps would be to make this happen.

• 4. Re: Force Classic Layout
                Sorbsbuster

Have whatever the script is that would take the user to the layout, then add these steps at the end:

If [ PatternCount (Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; "go" ) ]
                     Go to Layout [The Classic layout]
                     Else
                     Go to Layout [Non-Classic layout]

Note that Phil is is suggesting you check if the file will still work with IWP even though the IWP user never gets to see a non-classic layout.

• 5. Re: Force Classic Layout
                  philmodjunk

FileMaker Tech Support folks in other posts here have indicated that you will get an error message if even one layout in your file does not have a classic themed layout. Thus, it appears that my earlier suggestion, having one interface file for FMP Client users that contains any non-classic themed layouts you choose to use and one for IWP users that consists of 100% classic layouts is the way you will need to go.

Please note, that this post is not based on personal experience and I would love to be proved wrong.