AnsweredAssumed Answered

Forced to Enter Data in a field that has "not empty" validation, even if the field is not on the...

Question asked by skashanchi on Aug 13, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

Forced to Enter Data in a field that has "not empty" validation, even if the field is not on the layout?

So I have a table with several fields that have their validation set to "not empty". 

I have several different layouts that create records in this table. I use different layouts for creating records, because there are different ways in which records are created by users, depending on their job function. So some layouts have fields that other layouts do not. The problem I am having users are getting a message saying that a certain field cannot be empty, even though the field is NOT on the layout?? Why is FMP requiring a user to enter data in a field that is not on the layout?

Is it the case that when you assign "not empty" for a field in a table, it expects every record created for that table to have data in that field, even of that field is not used in the current layout creating a record? If so, then what is the proper way around this? Do I need to use layout scripts to require fields to not be empty, instead of assigning that attribute to the field itself in the database?

Outcomes