4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 4:11 AM by sccardais

Forcing Auto Enter Action

sccardais

Title

Forcing Auto Enter Action

I created a field in Table A - "StatusConstant" -  that uses the AutoEnter function to equal the value of a field in a related table. Globals::g_status.

When I change the value of Globals::g_status, I want the value in "StatusConstant" to update. I am using "StatusConstant in a self join relationship.

At this point, when I change the value of Globals::g_Status, the value of "StatusConstant" is not changing.

Is there another / better way to do this?

• 1. Re: Forcing Auto Enter Action
          schamblee

Auto-Enter calculation update when you create a new record.  A non-store calculation updates automatically.  I don't understand what you want to accomplish. Your post states that you have a self join which would mean that both field are in the same table, and if they have the same data, what is the point of two field.  If you want to replace data on several records, it would be better to do a find replace.

• 2. Re: Forcing Auto Enter Action
            sccardais

the relative snip I want to create a report that counts records based on the company's status as 'client' , 'cancelled', 'free trial' and some other values in the Status field.

I wanted to create a script that would allow the User to select the Status which would modify the relationship to match records that matched the status and a Group code. E.g. Summarixpze the number of 'clients' by group code. Or use the same layout to us,,arise the number of 'canceled' by group code, etc.

I know there are other ways to do this but I was curious to know if this technique to create dynamic relationships could work.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Forcing Auto Enter Action
              schamblee

You can create dynamic relationships to view record based on the status but all you need is a relationship between the status and a global field that contains the status you want to view.    The status field can be a drop down box to select the status of the record and the global field can be a drop down box to select the status you want to view.  No scripts would be required.

You would create a report with summary field to total by status.  Take a look at this link http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/790/~/creating-a-sub-summary-by-month 
              Instead of a sub-summary by month you would have a sub-summary by status

• 4. Re: Forcing Auto Enter Action
                sccardais

S Chamblee : Thank you very much. Your suggestion worked perfectly.

I created a popover on my sub summary layout that displays StatusConstant as a checkbox set.

The self relationship matches "Status" to "StatusConstant"

When I change the value in StatusContant, it immediately changes the sub summary report.

It's exactly what I wanted.

Thanks again.