4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 8:19 AM by TSGal

foreign language Characters

gjlazar38

Title

foreign language Characters

I am using Mac os 10.5.5 and Filemaker Pro 6.0 I have some data fields that require foreign language characters with diacritic marcks. When I use the international keyboards from the mac system I do nto get the proper characters. They work in theis forum however in a filemaker pro field they do not. For example witht he slovak keyboard the numbers 1 to 0 give the following: + ľ š č ť ž ý á í é. In a Filemaker Pro field the same keys give the following characters: + º ‰ ã È Ï ˘ á í é

What can I do to et the proper characters? The slovak keybord works fine in all my other applications like MS office and Mac word processors, why not in FIlemaker?  

• 1. Re: foreign language Characters
          TSGal

gjlazar38:

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried this with FileMaker Pro 9?  FileMaker Pro 6 was discontinued several years ago, and also FileMaker 8.5 and above is certified to work on Mac OS 10.5.x.

Download a trial version of FileMaker Pro 9 from our web site (www.filemaker.com) and see if this works, since there is support for Unicode, which was not the case for FileMaker Pro 6.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: foreign language Characters
            gjlazar38
               I will try it but $179 is a lot for a retired home user to fork over for functionality that most other  programs have. I already upgraded from Filemaker 4 to 6. I am a long time user! I keep my investment data base and address book on FIlemaker.
            • 3. Re: foreign language Characters
              gjlazar38
                 Yes it did work ok in FM pro 9, but , I cannot afford to spend another $179 to upgrade again. This is ridiculous.
              • 4. Re: foreign language Characters
                TSGal

gjlazar38:

Yes, I know that $179 can be a lot of money.  I don't know much about your database, but since you are on a Mac running Leopard, I would suggest downloading a trial version of Bento from our web site.  This is a $49 database product that integrates with Address Book, iCal and Mail, and it may be a good alternative.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.