3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 2:22 PM by philmodjunk

Form based on a report - is it possible to display both on a layout?

daveeed

Title

Form based on a report - is it possible to display both on a layout?

Hi all,

I have a workload measurement reporting requirement based on date ranges. Using summary parts I can get these reports created by using a find script step to load the layout based on a user-entered date range.

My customer would like to display this workload report in the upper half of the screen and then have the user answer a number of questions related to the report in the lower half of the screen. Ideally they would be able to print/submit the whole thing. Is this possible?

Since any number of these reports could be generated based on different date ranges, how should I model the associated feedback form so that the information seen in the report can be saved together with the feedback form?

Thanks!

David

• 1. Re: Form based on a report - is it possible to display both on a layout?
          philmodjunk

Perhaps you can use a large trailing summary to gather user feedback. That way the lower half of the screen can be taken up by the trailing grand summary and the sub summary parts would be listed above it.

There are also ways you can use a portal or (if using FileMaker 12) the ExecuteSQL function to produce a similar list of sub totals--so this may be an approach that works for you.

Since any number of these reports could be generated based on different date ranges, how should I model the associated feedback form so that the information seen in the report can be saved together with the feedback form?

You'll need to figure out tables and records that work for this and take into account how you will use the data in such a report. Will the data in the records used for your report change over time? Do you want to save all the values as of the time the report was saved or should the report show current values for the same set of records?

On the one hand, you can save the criteria used to pull up the report along with a related table where records record the feedback data. You then use the criteria to recreate the report as needed.

On the other, you can save a PDF of your report and insert that PDF into a container field to preserve a "snapshot" of the data as it existed when the report was created.

• 2. Re: Form based on a report - is it possible to display both on a layout?
            daveeed

Thank you. Can you explain the portal method to get the list of sub totals? I am using FM11. 

• 3. Re: Form based on a report - is it possible to display both on a layout?
              philmodjunk

That's difficult to do without a much more detailed understanding of your data and the criteria to be used for these reports.

It requires adding a related table where you have one record for each sub total with relationships that match to your table of report data by both the sub summary category and also with fields/values that recreate the constraints one these totals you would otherwise have used in find criteria to pull up your report.